Vinyl stripes above or below ppf?

One, are the stripes matte or gloss? That will determine what finish would need to be used. Second, I don't know anyone that installs vinyl over ppf. It's usually ppf over vinyl so the vinyl is just as protected as the painted surface. Usually the vinyl stripes are inconsistent with the placement so a precut kit usually won't fit exact, therefore requiring a steady hand to lay the film over the whole thing and cutting down the edge where the vinyl and paint meet which releases the air gap that would be created. You could leave it covering the whole thing without cutting but you will usually see some air gap along it. The other potential curve ball is if the stripes are matte. That would either require you using a matching matte finish ppf to put over it or you would still cut straight lines along the seams of the vinyl edge and paint and remove the gloss ppf from the stripe so you don't lose the matte finish. But you are losing a possible protection on the strip without a matte ppf on top.

Stripes are glossy.

My detailer (who has a very busy and well reviewed business) mentioned "lensing" as a reason to put the vinyl over the PPF...

He said the line of  the edge of the stripe is going to look magnified with a layer of clear film overlying it.

Stripes are glossy.

My detailer (who has a very busy and well reviewed business) mentioned "lensing" as a reason to put the vinyl over the PPF...

He said the line of  the edge of the stripe is going to look magnified with a layer of clear film overlying it.

Never heard of the term "lensing". I stick to my first thought and that is to ppf over vinyl. As I mentioned, I have never heard of an installer promoting or even doing ppf underneath vinyl. Most people either not cover it or they cover over it like I mentioned. But it's totally your choice.

I will be the different opinion then. I would do the strips over the PPF if you are adding it and it is not already installed. Applying PPF over the top will leave a air line on the vinyl edge. If you cut the ppf  around the vinyl then it is just another edge to collect dirt and wax ect:

:yeah

Although blue on white won't show the airline much at first, if you cant seal the stripe in totally then you will get water ingress bringing with it any fine dust and over time it will start to look grubby. The reason most installers apply over stripes is mostly because they are there from the dealer so have no option.

Cutting down the sides of the stripes is a no no as far as I am concerned, I have no problem bulk installing kits but you don't cut all the way through the film, only score and tear along the score. The risk of cutting the paint far outweighs the protection ppf affords the stripes if you ask me. 

Steve

I will be the different opinion then. I would do the strips over the PPF if you are adding it and it is not already installed. Applying PPF over the top will leave a air line on the vinyl edge. If you cut the ppf  around the vinyl then it is just another edge to collect dirt and wax ect:

And that is the whole point of the forum. Get other opinions on what they experienced so the consumer in the this case can make the decision themselves. At least the vinyl in this case isn't being presented as paint protection like it sometimes is.  :facepalm2

I second the vinyl over ppf. Unless already installed the air gap between the painted and vinyl stripe might be an issue at some point. It might never be an issue, but if you have a blank canvas, do what will net you best long term results. I have done both installs, ppf over and under and prefer stripes on top. Just makes a for a cleaner install in my opinion.