Church Glass with Texture

1 hour ago, TintDude said:

I've hear it said that that is a myth, they are thicker at the bottom because of the way they were made and the thickest part was put on the bottom on purpose. If glass was plastic like that, every glass statue and artifact that we have from ancient Egypt and what not would all be puddles at that rate.

:dunno 

What is a myth? I believe I said the bottom is probably thicker than the top. I believe that is exactly what you just confirmed

No Sir. I appreciate you and the community you have built. I was just saying ( because I didn't know till I was educated by an old school glass company) that old glass was rolled, spun and pulled into a glass disc before being cut and that when pulled and not cold rolled, the heavier part was installed on the bottom because of the weight. I apologize for thinking faster than I can write...

thank you. Cheers

2 hours ago, TintDude said:

I've hear it said that that is a myth, they are thicker at the bottom because of the way they were made and the thickest part was put on the bottom on purpose. If glass was plastic like that, every glass statue and artifact that we have from ancient Egypt and what not would all be puddles at that rate.

:dunno 

I see it now rick. Settles may have been a better word. I didn't mean glass physically changes properties over time.

16 minutes ago, TintDude said:

Sorry, thought you meant it was sagging over time, I misread.

I think we are back on the same page. Taffy expression was the cold rolled process, wavey unlike today

3 minutes ago, TintDude said:

No worries, just sharing trivia where it's not needed as usual. :lol 

:beer 

I appreciate the knowledge and trivia, that is what makes us all better students and mentors of our trade

I remember something in middle school where the teacher was asking if glass is a solid or a liquid. He showed us how glass kinda melts when it is hit by the sun for a long period of time. I don't remember what he said though. I just know that he said something about gas. 

Archived