Church Glass with Texture

not going to lay down on there.  Should get a piece of glass made to fit just inside of the old, tint it, and install or have a glass shop install the new tinted glass.

3 hours ago, DynamicAppearance said:

Quoting an older church that has clear glass, but it is not flat.  It has a texture to it...believe it was called "Water Glass" from the 1940's.  Wanted to see if there would be any issues with applying window film?

34439766290_ca05acdff1_b.jpg

34826087975_1ca61b74c6_b.jpg

Yes there will. That is actually (because I did some Victorian houses for a couple years) and old sag glass. Decorative vinyl(solyx) will save you from wanting to jump through one of those windows, which I am sure are leaded. Glass from that period sags over time. They don't make them like that any more

You will probably find that the bottom of the glass is thicker than the top. New glass today is made with a float method, the old came down like taffy 

3 hours ago, drtint4211 said:

You will probably find that the bottom of the glass is thicker than the top. New glass today is made with a float method, the old came down like taffy 

I've hear it said that that is a myth, they are thicker at the bottom because of the way they were made and the thickest part was put on the bottom on purpose. If glass was plastic like that, every glass statue and artifact that we have from ancient Egypt and what not would all be puddles at that rate.

:dunno 

2 minutes ago, MikeMN said:

No window film manufacture will warranty that glass against glass breakage, that type of glass is very unstable for any type of TSA.

Walk away.

Thanks.  Already took a pass because it is above our heads.  I referred them to a large flat glass shop.

1 hour ago, TintDude said:

I've hear it said that that is a myth, they are thicker at the bottom because of the way they were made and the thickest part was put on the bottom on purpose. If glass was plastic like that, every glass statue and artifact that we have from ancient Egypt and what not would all be puddles at that rate.

:dunno 

I am not sure if the thicker part was put on the bottom on purpose I was only going by Coffman Glass (contract company) when I asked why the glass looked like it was sagging, and was told it was pulled up while cooling which created the tapered bottom unlike today's glass manufacturers process. Old glass was leaded as plates and dishes of that time. I am not a glass maker but do know when film won't stick to it

Archived