2017 Jetta rear tray

Aesop_Rock

Just got into a shouting match with the rear plastic tray of a 2017 Jetta. Does anyone know how to take it off? That third break light is annoying because the tray covers it and is one piece. Bulldozer and Titan are not doing the best job getting back there to lay down film either.

Any help, especially detailed lol, would be appreciated.

-Paul

Use a plastic laminated binder to shove solution down behind light. Last Jetta I pulled the rear deck on was an 11-12 and there was 1 bolt in trunk to the pass side of 3rd brake light, had to back it off or pull it out. Be warned it threads into a speed clip that's glued to the body, when you tighten it , it may break the bond and make life worse. If it's the same model.

I use bulldozer with teflon on the squeegee. It slips in there without lube, and when you pull it out you have to slide out to the side so you dont pull the film up.  I also use the long white strip with the black squeegee. Hard to get pressure back there so must make sure to get it all and use enough slip in the mounting solution so nothing sets prematurely.

1 hour ago, CustomGlassTinter said:

I use bulldozer with teflon on the squeegee. It slips in there without lube, and when you pull it out you have to slide out to the side so you dont pull the film up.  I also use the long white strip with the black squeegee. Hard to get pressure back there so must make sure to get it all and use enough slip in the mounting solution so nothing sets prematurely.

If you not in the film world it reads like this. Just a couple deletions and your paragraph takes a whole new meaning. :lol

. It slips in there without lube, and when you pull it out you have to slide out to the side so you dont pull up.  I also use the long white strip . Hard to get pressure back there so must make sure to get it all and use enough slip in the mounting solution so nothing sets prematurely.

On 2017-06-14 at 5:39 AM, CustomGlassTinter said:

I've never thought of putting teflon tape on the bulldozer. Definitely need to try that!  

Has anyone removed one of these decks?  If not, when it cools off, I'm going to remove the deck in my wife's 2016 Jetta GLI because the tint currently on the car has experienced adhesive failure.  I really want to make sure I have complete access to the whole window because removing glue from behind the brake light is a royal pain.

I told my wife that I will wait until it cools down a bit unless it gets to the point where she can not see out of her back window.  If it becomes a safety issue before it cools off, I'l redo it, heat be damned.

1 hour ago, billzkey said:

Has anyone removed one of these decks?  If not, when it cools off, I'm going to remove the deck in my wife's 2016 Jetta GLI because the tint currently on the car has experienced adhesive failure.  I really want to make sure I have complete access to the whole window because removing glue from behind the brake light is a royal pain.

I told my wife that I will wait until it cools down a bit unless it gets to the point where she can not see out of her back window.  If it becomes a safety issue before it cools off, I'l redo it, heat be damned.

Dang what did you put oon there for it to already be failing? 

Just now, jh812 said:

Dang what did you put oon there for it to already be failing? 

I didn't do the initial install because this was before I learned how to tint.

Sadly, this installer is the reason I learned how to tint windows.  He was famous for up-selling another line with a lifetime warranty, then installing run of the mill ATC film on the vehicle.  I'll know more if it is ATC because that film is generally a royal pain to remove as it comes off in layers.  All I can say is that this film is NOT the Carbon film that I paid for because the whole car is experiencing fading.