Quarter Window Tinting

I'm a total noob to tinting, only started tinting yesterday.

Watched youtube videos and read lots of threads here in this forum for a week. After all the research I found out that the hardest part to tint seems to be the smallest part on the car, the quarter window, so I started there.

And it is. I bought around 5 meters of extra film to use for practicing, and ran through almost half the film yesterday doing the quarter window.

Do you guys have any tips on the quarter window? I have problem mostly on the cutting part, couldn't get the shape right, especially the top part. Pressed the tint hardly onto the glass, still couldnt get the curved part right. Even sliced a thin line off the rubber gasket.

Was tinting a 2009 honda city.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use a liner to do your outline and cut your film from that.

I usually use an ez reach or any thin strong triangle hard card and push hard on the rubber seal corners to loosen the seal a bit. It helps when trying to install the film. 

remove the window-door panel off-one phillips hidden in top gasket, 2 10 mil screws holding track, move track forward and pull window with rubber gasket, tint window, reinstall.  window comes out in less than 5 minutes and you don't have to jazz around with that gasket.

8 hours ago, infrasonic said:

Do you guys have any tips on the quarter window? I have problem mostly on the cutting part, couldn't get the shape right, especially the top part. Pressed the tint hardly onto the glass, still couldnt get the curved part right. Even sliced a thin line off the rubber gasket.

yeah keep practicing. 

7 hours ago, no ma'am said:

Up close pic of window with your install describing your problems will help. Rubber gasketed windows are not easy by any means.

It's the top part that's giving me problem, the place to cut is the place to go, no place to tucked into, gasket's not moving anywhere.
Bottom and left part is fine as there's a little bit of give on the gasket.

4VJCYqW.jpg

6 hours ago, Stewy said:

Use a liner to do your outline and cut your film from that.

I usually use an ez reach or any thin strong triangle hard card and push hard on the rubber seal corners to loosen the seal a bit. It helps when trying to install the film. 

Hmm that might be easier for me, at least I'll only waste the liners not the tint if I messed up, thanks!

2 hours ago, jconnors said:

remove the window-door panel off-one phillips hidden in top gasket, 2 10 mil screws holding track, move track forward and pull window with rubber gasket, tint window, reinstall.  window comes out in less than 5 minutes and you don't have to jazz around with that gasket.

Is it really that easy? I've searched some videos online and it looked really complicated, lots of thing to remove, I don't mind spending extra 20 mins taking it out, I'm just afraid I might not be able to put everything back after that

1 hour ago, DOOTINT said:

It might take 100ft to get it figured out with no real help lol

Cut to small or cut to big or dust specs or creases or maybe cut it backwards in the confusion(liner on the wrong side)

I really hoped it wouldn't be the case, but see-ing how I'm almost finishing up my 'training' film, you might actually be right

Just now, flipflopless said:

yeah keep practicing. 

Almost running out of film soon, just wanna check here in case I missed any techniques out

Archived