Does anybody use a generator for heat gun for mobile jobs??

12 to 1500 watt heat gun needs a 3000watt generator.   most are rated start up power or continuous.  i bought a 5000/7500 surge. powers everything including a electric hot water heater and ac for house.   10 gallon tank 4 110v 1220v output.  100% tax write off.  paid $500 cash, list was $950.  I was a mobile tinter, in shops only.  no electricity needed unless my torch does not remove film and I have to plug mt steamer in.  ummm,, don't tell my CPA,  nice here in the sticks to have when power goes out on a regular basis

Most times you get what you pay for, kinda like tinting. Less expensive gen don't put out the rated watts. The Honda I use rocks a 1500 watt gun long as you want to use it.

A friend has a 2000w Ryobi from Home Depot that works good, $400 I believe. You'll be wasting money on anything cheaper like Chinese Harbor Freight Generators.

1 hour ago, driftmaster said:

Most times you get what you pay for, kinda like tinting. Less expensive gen don't put out the rated watts. The Honda I use rocks a 1500 watt gun long as you want to use it.

A friend has a 2000w Ryobi from Home Depot that works good, $400 I believe. You'll be wasting money on anything cheaper like Chinese Harbor Freight Generators.

Thanks bro I like that 400 price

I use a 25ft extension cord most of the time. I also carry a 100ft extension cord just in case. So that gives me 125ft to work with if need be. I'v had to use the 100 footer maybe three times.

I also have a torch, works great if I dont feel like messing around with the cord.

Note that inverter generators are quieter than regular generators, which is why those quiet 2000 watt hondas are pricey. This is the link to the one i got that is 3500watts (surges up to 4000watts), not as quiet as those 2000watt inverter hondas but for $300 you can't go wrong. It's 100 pounds and i can one man it everywhere - http://a.co/ihnt5RR 

Have you considered batteries? Watts/Volts=Amps, so if you had a 1200 watt item you wanted to run non-stop for 1 hour you would calculate 1200w/12v=100 amps draw. So if you bought a 2000watt invertor (plugs to batteries and has the ac outlet) and a 100ah battery, you'll get an hour, but any battery you're charging and discharging this way should not go below 50% charge, so you would need 2 of these at 200ah total for that one hour. Or any amount or size of batteries that equal the 200amps, but that's just for a continuous hour. If silence is key. Depends on your needs and how important silence is

If your vehicle has a 100amp alternator you can rig them to get charged while you drive.

2000watt invertor - https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-continuous4000-watt-peak-power-inverter-63429.html 

Battery for 1 hour at 1200watts after being charged (you'd need 200ah and not run under 50% discharge) -  http://a.co/cDOLYWX 

Edited by Tint Slayer