New white 2018 Charger Hellcat PPF advice

All,

Have a white 2018 Charger Hellcat on order.  Should be here in 2 months from the factory.  My installer prefers 3M Pro Series PPF because he has the most experience installing it, but also installs XPEL Ultimate. Same price. Full hood, full fenders, mirrors and door handle cups and Bumper $2200.  Rocker Panels an extra $660.  Pricing is high I think. This is a white car and I know there have been some concerns in the market on yellowing on white cars for the 3M product but not sure if that is the "new" 3M Pro product or not.

They will be following up with Ceramic Pro exterior Gold package over the top.

Paint correction
3 layers of 9H on paintwork and trim
1 layer of light on paintwork and trim
1 layer of ceramic pro 9H on rims and calipers
2 layers of Ceramic pro rain on glass

Which PPF would you recommend and why?

Any other recommendations?

I would have your installer throw a small sample on there for you to look at the difference between them and see if you have a preference. I don't have any experience with Xpel's film so I can't speak to it but I am a 3M PPF installer and have been using the Pro Series since it was released through all the new updated versions. From my experience it has been a good film both from an installers perspective and in terms of durability. The warranty does cover yellowing for the seven year period they guarantee the film for, and I've yet to see an issue. Your geographic location and storage conditions may come into play with the longevity of any film. As far as warranties Xpel does seem to be a solid company that is growing and expanding so I doubt that they are going to go anywhere soon where you would have to worry about access in the future but with 3M you are pretty much guaranteed they aren't going to disappear anytime in the near future. As far as pricing goes that doesn't seem out of line to me, the material cost alone on a job that size is pretty hefty.

Edited to add that any ppf film will yellow eventually, just the nature of the base materials. 

Not a fan of 3M and never have been. I prefer Suntek Ultra over the two films mentioned but Xpel would be the clear second choice. There are other films out such as Premium Shield and Stek but haven't had long term testing on them so I cant really speak to longevity. I am not going to comment on pricing... there have been numerous discussions in here on PPF pricing. The only thing I will add is to get the lights covered. He should throw them in for free at that price.

MJ welcome to TD. Real serious car owners tend to check in here for valuable PPF tech info. Your thread brings lots and lots of great info for Tintdude members and Brands that are reading this info. All the films mentioned so far are the predominant PPF brands. I advise my clients based on daily or seasonal car use what films to use. My advise to you is cover the full white car with PPF w/ a Hydro top coat or other Stain resistant tech. Keep in mind that Detailers/wash/PPF installers use Permanent coating as upsells on film installs. Wrap the full car with the CP $$$. and then check with the film brand if adding the CP will effect your film warranty. Let us know how you made out.

3M Pro Series is the only film that cover rock chip on protected area. If a road debris damage the protected area, 3M will pay for the ppf to be remove, repainted, and reinstall up to $3500. No other ppf offer this warranty but it should be included with that price tag. I have client that have already use this and they love it. 

22 hours ago, Midtown Houston said:

3M Pro Series is the only film that cover rock chip on protected area. If a road debris damage the protected area, 3M will pay for the ppf to be remove, repainted, and reinstall up to $3500. No other ppf offer this warranty but it should be included with that price tag. I have client that have already use this and they love it. 

I would like to see the part of the warranty that actually says this.

Steve

3 hours ago, minty said:

I would like to see the part of the warranty that actually says this.

Steve

It's an extra service agreement, not part of the standard warranty but it is available and up to the installer whether or not to charge the customer for it or include it with the installation price. It covers new vehicles for 5 years or CPO and used vehicles for 3 years.

Screenshot_20170910-105456.jpg

Screenshot_20170910-105516.png

On 9/2/2017 at 0:38 PM, MJBoater said:

All,

Have a white 2018 Charger Hellcat on order.  Should be here in 2 months from the factory.  My installer prefers 3M Pro Series PPF because he has the most experience installing it, but also installs XPEL Ultimate. Same price. Full hood, full fenders, mirrors and door handle cups and Bumper $2200.  Rocker Panels an extra $660.  Pricing is high I think. This is a white car and I know there have been some concerns in the market on yellowing on white cars for the 3M product but not sure if that is the "new" 3M Pro product or not.

They will be following up with Ceramic Pro exterior Gold package over the top.

Paint correction
3 layers of 9H on paintwork and trim
1 layer of light on paintwork and trim
1 layer of ceramic pro 9H on rims and calipers
2 layers of Ceramic pro rain on glass

Which PPF would you recommend and why?

Any other recommendations?

SunTek Ultra. A good material with good results. (i have used it since it has been out) which is not long, but it did pass the test we do here in the shop before wasting my time and money with something else. I used Xpel for years and it did the job, just not to my specs (I get paid once, just like film) I don't like doing something twice and for nothing. Xpell was the hardest thing to remove and I decided at that point, I will not deal with it or have my employees waste their time with it either. One thing about me, if my guy's are complaining, I want to know why, so I take it upon myself to understand what the problem is (and I do it) and find the issue. I do not want my guy's wasting their time and getting a bad taste about this and have a bad day. I would discontinue a product line if the guy's were unhappy. Just me though

Archived