Solargard Quality?

Hey guys, I'm in the process of starting my tinting business and i'm almost ready to roll! I've been talking to solar guard about their Film. The consultant was a 10/10 in his customer service. 

The question is what is your guys experience with solargard I couldn't any reviews really on here which i thought was weird. 

the particular style he recommended is the galaxy. 

Used Solar gard for years.   dropped them when the closed my distribution point.  problems ordering, paying my bill and shall we say communication issues.  Switched to Sun gard and was happy till they were bought by madico and problems began to surface.  Choosing the right film is an important decision and can be confusing.

do not compare a film you are evaluating to the one you use.  every manufacture will send you free samples.  use medium to hard BG and a door for testing.  shrink and hang 3 different products before you try the one that you are interested in.   different films react differently,  compare a new film to other films you are not familiar with.  only way for a fair evaluation.  have to get out of your comfort zone product. $10 or even $50 a roll cost difference is small compared to the time and film you might waste on a film that is hard to install or increases your warranty rate.

Things to consider when testing

does it come off clean or leave glue on window when removing. 

hard to peel off or easy.  you want a good bond.

when you shrink it, does the edge singe or curl?   I cut, shrink and hang.  never cut twice

how aggressive is the adhesive.  same slip with 4 different films gives you a comparison.  how long till you cant pull back for say a hair removal

crease or spot removal.   yes screw up the door,  some films no heat chisler or heat with gator  or fingernail.  glue smear easy?

price is the least important and last consideration IMO

17 hours ago, First Revolution Tint said:

@shadytints in your experience what was the go to brand? 

is the key word "was" in that question?

up till 1993 Madico TG, AG  and Al   Worked for Ziebart International Corp.  used in about 800 of our US stores

1994 ish  sungard colbalt gorrilla stick.  one of the first "contoured" film that would shrink and switched.  went from teacher to tinter,  suit and tie didnt suit me  lol

2002 worked for a different franchise and used solargard NR and HP,  HP sucked to shrink

2006  Shady Tints LLC and not so slim shady was born

2008 switched back to sungard, black purple,,   I mean pearl.  easy shrink, easy instal till madico bought them

switched to proview films,  carbon and ceramic.  good product reboxed like the rest and good rep.

2017 disabled.  still play here and evaluate new products.  might have a new carbon ceramic 1ply nice scratchkote med-high aggressive adhesive and shrinks great.

if it passes the tests,  should come in about $250 a 60 inch,,, and ya dont have to buy a hundred rolls  LOL

to be fair,  lulu is a great film,  if I was tinting 2 or 3 cars at once it all fell off the car,  never got past the rolled backwards stuff

3m  expensive rebox

3 minutes ago, highplains said:

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea what it is?

Not sure what they rebox for the FX Series films...we have never installed them so can't even guess.  I wish they would come up with their own film for those slots, but 3M has no interest in investing money in old technology entry level films.

13 hours ago, jh812 said:

I've met quite a few tinters and have never came across one that uses solar gard auto. Now a few have used their flat glass just not auto. For the price though I'd find another big name manufacturer. 

yeah i'm brand new so i'm still reading everything I can about what i'm going to be buying. I've tried to speak with 3M about their product but in the nicest way possible they told me we're not going to sell to you. Didn't feel so good but it is what it is. what brand do you use and why?