2008 Volvo S40

Hey guys, reaching out for some help on the Volvo S40. I've been tinting seriously for the last couple years and this car is probably the hardest one I've encountered.

Back glass was a breeze. I'm having trouble with the roll ups. I did lots of research prior to taking in this car, so I was prepared for the tight felt seals. But dang, they were so much worse than I expected!

Luckily on these cars the top of the panel has four clips you have to release then the bottom seal some out easily. So after bottom loading my pattern everything laid down nice except I got a bunch of horizontal fingers on the big side of the window. Usually I'm able to knock these down with a little heat, but no such luck on this Volvo.

The side seals are pinching the film so tight that it's creating horizontal side fingers that are damn near impossible to lay down. How do you guys handle these Volvos? I'd really like to avoid pulling the entire seal out. I'm going to have to re do both fronts in this S40 and I want to be ready this time. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for the input! Yeah I'm thinking pulling the seal might be the only option to get the big side of the window laid down nicely.  I read that the front windows on these Volvos are laminated so I was cautious with the heat.

The thing is I can get the film into place just fine, but then it bunches up on me on the big side.  Super annoying. Wish I would have grabbed a pic.

On 9/18/2017 at 2:37 PM, flat rock stan said:

I use a white vinyl cut into strips for the tight felt sides. It is much smoother than most tape and of course use extra slip along with pattern cut exact.

Cheers 

Thanks Stan you da man some have to just be cut exact only way around it....

Yeah I usually have my patterns pretty long on the sides. When I re do the fronts on this car I will cut them exact. I think that will help with fingers on the sides. And if there are any, they should be easier so lay down. Thanks everyone.

20 minutes ago, Apex Tint said:

Yeah I usually have my patterns pretty long on the sides. When I re do the fronts on this car I will cut them exact. I think that will help with fingers on the sides. And if there are any, they should be easier so lay down. Thanks everyone.

Try dry shrinking the side windows too it helps on curvy windows