Dawn vs J&J

59 minutes ago, smartie2shoes said:

Dawn slips well because it not only contains soap but, it also has silicates. Their advertising talks of cutting grease and stuck on foods. These silicates coat the surface of dishes to keep food from sticking, making it easier to remove stuck on foods after the first was.

I used Dawn when first starting in 1980, moved to Palmolive, to J&J Baby shampoo, to LLumar's FilmOn (which is Baby Shampoo without ingredients harmful to film adhesive or their ability to bond well). Tint Slime is similar to FilmOn and Baby Shampoo but, they (TS) changed the formula to eliminate the ingredient that produces formaldehyde when mixed with water. J&J Baby Shampoo changed their formula to do the same and FilmOn also followed suit.

When in Tech Support at LLumar I had access to the scientists in Research. A fellow tinter had called in and asked if Prell shampoo was okay to use so, I posed the question to one of the adhesive science guys with SDS (formerly MSDS) in hand and upon review of the ingredients this science guy saw no issue with its use.

:twocents

Wow is Prell still around? I remember the commercial back in the 70s when they dropped a pearl in it 

How much JnJ or FilmOn are you guys using?

I am still trying to find an amount that works well for me being new (enough slip and time but still good adhesion) without being too much and causing other problems. 

I think I am using too much right now. Most recent issue was the bottom edge of a late model VW Jetta back window.

Not sure if it was too much FilmOn or just too much solution between film and glass in general.

Gotta keep reminding myself to work in 1/4s too so I don't end up with a heavy edge and nowhere to go.

Maybe in 20 years I'll get the hang of it like some of you guys. Be able to do windows in my sleep.

11 hours ago, ErieTint said:

How much JnJ or FilmOn are you guys using?

I am still trying to find an amount that works well for me being new (enough slip and time but still good adhesion) without being too much and causing other problems. 

I think I am using too much right now. Most recent issue was the bottom edge of a late model VW Jetta back window.

Not sure if it was too much FilmOn or just too much solution between film and glass in general.

Gotta keep reminding myself to work in 1/4s too so I don't end up with a heavy edge and nowhere to go.

Maybe in 20 years I'll get the hang of it like some of you guys. Be able to do windows in my sleep.

I use Joy Non-Ultra, but i've tried JnJ and a few others, they all follow the same 1oz per gallon rule, which comes out to 8 mls per liter (or quart, or basically a typical commercial spray bottle). I mostly use 10-12mls per liter. Back glass add 2mls extra for a little extra slip. I'm not a fan of JnJ, i know a lot of other people are big fans of it, but i think it has weak adhesion, just my opinion.