Last one to post #840

Evening all,  I wanted to get some feedback ( from all you regulars ) on steaming for removal. [mention=41957]no ma'am[/mention] [mention=29693]jh812[/mention]
[mention=3]TintDude[/mention] [mention=177]Roach[/mention] [mention=25624]Tintmaster08[/mention] [mention=41586]highplains[/mention] [mention=19700]TNTLady[/mention] Etc.
ive always bagged back glasses and heated and or scrapped sides for removal, until recently. One of the shops I tint for has a steamer ( cheap one) that I’ve been playing with for removal. It seems to be a roll of the dice on whether the film will leave glue or not. Just like bagging. My question is, would a nice steamer ( jiffy ) increase my success rate on the old film coming off clean with no adhesive left on the glass? Or does that depend more on the brand of film that’s on there already?

Morning everyone
I’ve used the cheap Wagner and the Jiffy for removal. On the roll ups I use the steamer to remove the film from the sides and bottom only then yank it off only because I hate cleaning glue out the sides and bottom sweeps and I normally pull the bottom seals to make the adhesive clean up easier especially if I’m retinting it. On the rear I bag with the steamer and use tintoff with a five way tool to scrape it off before I scrub it. Just make sure you cover the deck with a towel you don’t mind having glue all over it.

17 minutes ago, Tintmaster08 said:

Morning everyone
I’ve used the cheap Wagner and the Jiffy for removal. On the roll ups I use the steamer to remove the film from the sides and bottom only then yank it off only because I hate cleaning glue out the sides and bottom sweeps and I normally pull the bottom seals to make the adhesive clean up easier especially if I’m retinting it. On the rear I bag with the steamer and use tintoff with a five way tool to scrape it off before I scrub it. Just make sure you cover the deck with a towel you don’t mind having glue all over it.

Yeah that's another thing I forgot to mention if you don't pull that bottom sweep it sucks :lol

8 hours ago, Super Dave said:

Evening all,  I wanted to get some feedback ( from all you regulars ) on steaming for removal. @no ma'am @jh812

@TintDude @Roach @Tintmaster08 @highplains @TNTLady Etc.

ive always bagged back glasses and heated and or scrapped sides for removal, until recently. One of the shops I tint for has a steamer ( cheap one) that I’ve been playing with for removal. It seems to be a roll of the dice on whether the film will leave glue or not. Just like bagging. My question is, would a nice steamer ( jiffy ) increase my success rate on the old film coming off clean with no adhesive left on the glass? Or does that depend more on the brand of film that’s on there already?

Most definently a crap shoot! I still bag the rear glass and work on scraping the sides while the Jiffy steamer heats up. Some jobs the steamer makes is come off like melting butter and then other times that old tint wont budge and it becomes a forearm workout for the day. Its like a box of chocolates,  you never know what your gonna get. CHARGE ACCORDINGLY TO THE AMOUNT OF TIME AND DIFFICULTY. I tell folks it can be 25 to 150 for removal. 

Got the big guy from 3M coming in this morning, apparently he’s number 3 in charge. He heard about my unorthodox shrinking of Crystalline and wants to see it for himself, lol. The boss booked a 65 Mustang in Crystalline as the demo car; glad someone told me all about this before this morning. :sarcasm

46 minutes ago, Tintmaster08 said:

Got the big guy from 3M coming in this morning, apparently he’s number 3 in charge. He heard about my unorthodox shrinking of Crystalline and wants to see it for himself, lol. The boss booked a 65 Mustang in Crystalline as the demo car; glad someone told me all about this before this morning. :sarcasm

What are you calling unorthodox shrinking? Do you shrink it hanging upside down with legs crossed in your superman underroos while singing Ave Maria squinting through one eye? Cause thats how I would do it. :poke   :D  :lol

What are you calling unorthodox shrinking? Do you shrink it hanging upside down with legs crossed in your superman underroos while singing Ave Maria squinting through one eye? Cause thats how I would do it. :poke   [emoji3]  :lol

Are you looking in my bay window? :poke [emoji23][emoji23]
No, I shrink it like normal film on low heat with no ghosting or distortion after the fact and most people can’t believe I do it that way without one or the other happening. I’ll pocket shrink it depending on the car but other wise I’ll shrink it like normal film on low heat