Film for double paned glass windows

Good morning,

My wife and I are looking to get our home tinted. We're looking at using Global Window Films Ceramic Dual Reflective (CDR) Architectural Window Film. Has anyone used this material? What is the quality like, and is it suitable for double paned windows?

We live in Houston TX and our house is in the east-west direction so we get a lot of heat and lighti in the mornings and evenings. 

Global DR film is very nice.  I've used the darkest on double pane with no issues.  Not certain the actual manufacturer allows on it.  I know what I can use and feel safe. 

So I got three very different quotes from three different installers to apply window film to all windows in our house. The quotes are as follows:

Global Films Dual Reflective: $2500

Avery Film PerLite: $3500 

3M NV Series: $4200

All three claim they have proposed film that is suitable for installation on double planed windows with the low-E coating. I know some of the cost difference will be bc of the labor cost of the installers, but is there a big cost or quality difference in the film? Are the three seen as relative equals? If cost was no object, which of the three is the best film in your opinion? 

I told them I wanted 35% for all. Our HOA says that "window film must be non-reflective type" which is silly b/c the windows themselves are reflective. Since 35% reflects less than 25%, that is what I told them I wanted. 

The problem is merely an issue of light/glare mitigation. We have double paned windows with low-E coating (brand new home) so I don't think the films will offer much savings in terms of electricity for cooling. 

1 hour ago, amiznit said:

I told them I wanted 35% for all. Our HOA says that "window film must be non-reflective type" which is silly b/c the windows themselves are reflective. Since 35% reflects less than 25%, that is what I told them I wanted. 

The problem is merely an issue of light/glare mitigation. We have double paned windows with low-E coating (brand new home) so I don't think the films will offer much savings in terms of electricity for cooling. 

Actually, the proper film on top of those new low-E windows will help immensely .  There are films available that can make those windows block all kinds of heat coming through the windows.  The film has to be reflective so that your windows don't break, while trying to reject the heat.  A film that is non-reflective is going to be more "absorbent" in terms of reducing heat.  A reflective film will "reflect" heat rather than absorbing it, therefore keeping your windows safe from breakage.  

The film doesn't have to be "mirror" reflective, but it does need to be reflective to be safe. :beer   

Edited by Bham