Windshield is 2 different shades after removing tint strip. Confused.

1) Windshield - here's what it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/eTKnGXJ

I rub my fingers over it and there's no material / tint film where the line is. Where it's lightest there used to be a strip of tint but I removed it. Some imperfections up close: https://imgur.com/a/7pt7zUa

2) Car windows - had tint removed by a shop that used a steamer but the windows still seem darker than other cars. Compare to neighbors car in background: https://imgur.com/a/bX8KXSl

Is it possible the previous owners dark tint stained the windows? Or plastic gassing or smoking? I've scrubbed the inside of the windows with a rag and dish soap and nothing came off on the rag.

Any help appreciated. Both of these issues have me confused on my new to me (used) car. 

car-tint-1.jpg

IMG_6389.jpg

Take the point of a razor blade or razor knife and rub it in a small area at the top corner to see if the surface scratches.

My suspicion is there is a light tint on the windscreen that had a visor strip piggy-backed to it. When the strip was removed it may have taken the scratch coat off, which contained coloring (dyed or pigmented scratch coat).

5 hours ago, smartie2shoes said:

Take the point of a razor blade or razor knife and rub it in a small area at the top corner to see if the surface scratches.

My suspicion is there is a light tint on the windscreen that had a visor strip piggy-backed to it. When the strip was removed it may have taken the scratch coat off, which contained coloring (dyed or pigmented scratch coat).

Thanks guys. I'm a fool. As you guys said, turns out there was a layer of film covering the windshield in addition to the darker strip that I had removed. I couldn't feel anything rubbing my fingers over where it goes from light to dark so it threw me off. Took it into Sun Protection in Raleigh, NC and they removed it along w/ installing Formula One Pinnacle.

Edited by tintquestionnovice
details

10 hours ago, Super Dave said:

First off, what’s the year, make , Model?

Second, on the windshield: looks like they maybe tried to seam an eyebrow into a lighter shade on the bottom. Wipe your finger across the line, can you feel the edge of film?

I couldn't feel anything which was weird but turns out there was a layer covering the windshield that I had removed just now.

It's a 2013 Lexus G350 F-Sport - new to me as previous owner had maybe 15 or 20 all around which is far too dark for me so had it removed a couple weeks ago. The 4 windows and back seem pretty dark to me for stock (plus black interior) so for install just now went w/ 50 which is good for me and I've had before on another car.

Edited by tintquestionnovice
details

1 minute ago, Tint Slayer said:

I will say you did an amazing job of getting the visor off and doing no damage to the lower film.

I've actually had this happen a few times.  I've started the corner of the strip and pulled, expecting it to take the 50% layer with it, and the strip comes off clean. :blink  

Granted, the 50% under it shows a shade difference, like the OP stated, but it will come off ""sometimes"" without doing any other damage or leaving glue. :thumb