New Michigan Tint Law?

07TBSS

So last I knew the law in Michigan for front window tint was no more then the top 4"'s and down 4"'s on the windshield.  Had a coworker get pulled over on October 12, 2018, it was a state cop who pulled her over for the tint.  She then had her roll her window down, put a "tool" that looked to be made from cardboard/thicker paper.  She then had her roll her window up so it was just cracked about 1/2".  Following that she said her tint was .7% too dark.  She had the windows fully tinted in 20%.  She said that she let her go with no issue and warned her it was illegal.  So this has me wondering, has the law changed at all and what exactly could this "tool" have been? 

On 10/15/2018 at 10:10 PM, bamh5 said:

The law has not changed here...yet. If it does change, nothing is enforcable for 90 days. What part of Michigan was she in?

Were located in the Upper Pennesula. Right on the border of Canada. I’ve personally been pulled over for tint in my impala 34 times in 5 years and I just hand them my prescription with no issues. She said they walked up to the vehicle with said tool and then asked for license and registration. I’ve never seen them bring anything up for me. 

On 10/17/2018 at 7:41 AM, bamh5 said:

Probably a tint meter. Not needed in Michigan, because you can just measure 4 inches from the top to determine if it's illegal.

That’s what I was thinking. But seeing how it went down the window and how she had to roll it up so it was only cracked about 1/2” has me confused. But saying it was .7% too dark is also weird as it was 20% and the only law is the top 4 inches. 

I was at a political debate last week, and had the opportunity to speak with a state trooper. He indicated that there is legislation about changing the law to allow film on the front windows. He was a little confused about what percent of film. He gave me the name of the state police  liaison. Sounds like their considering a 70%.

I've got a call into my state rep to find out what is really being asked for, & try and get the house bill#