Inspection routine/Damage waiver

That van windshield I tinted yesterday had rock chips all over it and had a crack in one spot. Customer was happy with my work and asked if I had noticed the small crack. Did not accuse me of anything but had asked if I saw it.

keep in mind this vehicle was so dirty that I didn’t notice it when inspecting. Did notice the few rock chips though.   

I always do a a walk around and inspect before I tint but do you guys have any sort of waiver you have people sign? Maybe you find something wrong with a window, would you have them sign something acknowledging they’re aware of it? Just curious. 

Edited by TQtinting

We have a general disclaimer posted stating that we're not responsible for any damage from our services.  We walk the vehicle and take photos of any damage we see.  We generally do not let the customer know what we find unless we think it is something they are not aware of like scratches on the glass.  As long as we have photos time stamped at the beginning, we generally feel confident in not having issues.  The downside of walking the customers around their car is the more you find, the more embarrassed the customer could feel.  Unlike doing it on a rental vehicle, it is their personal vehicle that they may be sensitive about.  As far as windshields, we do not tint any of them with rock chips or other flaws.   

27 minutes ago, Ryker said:

Can be double edged sword. If you do something in writing but miss something then they can say you did the damage as it wasn't noted on the checklist. 

^ Exaxtly. Which is why I was thinking only have them sign one if you found something and do not state specifics. Just like a general form that says there is damage to the vehicle and said customer is aware before performing service. 

I always walk around the vehicle thoroughly with the customer and make notes, sometimes pictures. They do sign and acknowledge the damage and also what tint and shades they choose.  I do worry about the stuff I miss and notice later. So far, no trouble. lol

Edited by CaliTINT

4 hours ago, smookee408@yahoo.com said:

I do a walk around on all vehicles I tint. I’ll point out everything that I think they don’t know about. It does suck that sometimes they feel embarrassed by it but better then they saying I caused it. 

Yeah when it comes to covering

your ass or worrying about someone being embarrassed pretty sure I’ll cover my own self first.