Straight cut / reverse curve windshield

I place a 12” front strip piece across the top of the windshield (where the glass meets the roof) and cut the curve along the top edge of the glass. Mark dead center and then move the trimmed piece down to my alignment marks and finish it out normally.  Usually have to hand cut the last couple of inches to finish out the curve part of the pattern.  

This will give you the reverse curve that matches the shape of the windshield. 

highplains I have tried that but it's hard to get a consistent curve hand tapeing 

Bham I have done that before tough to get a clean cut like that. For me anyway. But then what do you do with the vehicles like the f150 that has the dip in the middle 

46 minutes ago, BRITEworks said:

highplains I have tried that but it's hard to get a consistent curve hand tapeing

Like everything else in this business it takes a lot of practice. I place a small piece of tape on the glass on both sides where I want the edge to be so I have a reference point to hit(generally I use the bottom of the mirror button as a center reference point). I'll then take my roll of tape and stick the first couple inches(mostly in the frit sometimes the a-pillar and to my first reference point)  to "tack" it on the passenger side then from the driver's side unroll the tape so you have enough length to go across and pull a little tension into it and gently lay it down to the glass and your second and then third reference points. Usually it will naturally follow the arc of the glass to give you a nice consistent curve. If you need to make an adjustment pull the tape back further than you think you need (usually to the center) and then lay it back down making your transition as smooth as possible so you don't have any big inconsistencies. 

20180913_175909.jpg

20180913_180023.jpg

11 hours ago, redneckj said:

Xpel DAP allows me to cut a perfect windshield strip.

Are  you referring to if it already has the pattern in the system, or you have away to make the curve in the program? Because many cars still don't have a pattern for a straight cut strip and some none at all. I hate visor strips to begin with, but am in the minority that I don't like the straight cut ones. To me they look like a smiley face on the glass. 

1 hour ago, Jake said:

..... I hate visor strips to begin with, but am in the minority that I don't like the straight cut ones. To me they look like a smiley face on the glass. 

I hate them too, and i think the straight ones look like someone did the tint job at home, like a low quality job and i guess its just me because when i ask people which they want they always want that straight line and like half way down the windshield. I guess i shouldn't complain with the straight ones being easier.

Edited by Tint Slayer
Because i see my typos after posting