17-20 Fusion back glass troubles

Bean3M

New here, does anyone one else have a bit of trouble with the back glass window ? I’ll first use a dryer sheet or soup the glass down and place the film on and do the H figure tack down and do it in quarters. After that I wet shrink to get the fingers I didn’t see out and yet still I get pesky fingers on the bottom corners from time to time when I install the film. 

1 hour ago, Bean3M said:

New here, does anyone one else have a bit of trouble with the back glass window ? I’ll first use a dryer sheet or soup the glass down and place the film on and do the H figure tack down and do it in quarters. After that I wet shrink to get the fingers I didn’t see out and yet still I get pesky fingers on the bottom corners from time to time when I install the film. 

What film? Also you hand cut or plotter and describe your squeegee method and pattern.

2 hours ago, no ma'am said:

What film? Also you hand cut or plotter and describe your squeegee method and pattern.

Obsidian 3M, I’ve also used ceramic it. Plotter mainly, I use a handle squeegee with an Orange Crush bit. I start from the top where a 3rd brake light would be and go straight down as low as my hand will allow and then go right from the middle of the glass and take it all down from there. I do the same on the left side of the split I made and then user a slammer tool to secure the bottom and that’s where the fingers will some times come back. For the bottom I use the slammer starting from the middle and work my way to the side In both directions. 

59 minutes ago, Bean3M said:

Obsidian 3M, I’ve also used ceramic it. Plotter mainly, I use a handle squeegee with an Orange Crush bit. I start from the top where a 3rd brake light would be and go straight down as low as my hand will allow and then go right from the middle of the glass and take it all down from there. I do the same on the left side of the split I made and then user a slammer tool to secure the bottom and that’s where the fingers will some times come back. For the bottom I use the slammer starting from the middle and work my way to the side In both directions. 

I like the slammer but I would lead and or follow with a softer tool like the conquerer and get a tri edge reach man. It is an excellent tool. I’ve got 1 booked Saturday will update. I prefer a soft tool first along the bottom edge, and use a combination of tools similar to the slammer. The paddle, bulldozer, slim foot occasionally.  The titan was cool before the reach happened.

15 hours ago, Bean3M said:

Obsidian 3M

My condolences, that film pushed me over the edge and solidified my decision to drop 3M. I agree with @no ma'am in that I like a softer tool initially along the bottom, personally I still use the bulldozer and titan as my go to and follow up with a slim foot for any stubborn fingers. I've also been using a different squeegee pattern as of late, instead of doing a cross and breaking it up into quadrants like that I've been starting in the center and pushing as much as I can out horizontally along the defroster lines and then doing the last couple inches top and bottom vertically. Typically I end up with about 3 inches at the top and 5-6 at the bottom. It's been working well for me so far and seems to have helped cut down on contamination and peanuts. Like @no ma'am said it could be your pattern being oversized as well or a combination of everything. That Obsidian doesn't seem to like to lock down very well for me, especially the 5%, and I use a blue max in an Unger handle and a heavy hand when I squeegee so the film may very well be playing a part in it too.