Application for nighttime privacy

Afternoon,

I get asked this question so much, "Do you have a film that provides privacy during the night?" I always turn to a translucent-style film such as frost when this comes up. I have yet to figure out another solution other than blinds or curtains.

A quote I am giving next week is asking for this same thing. However, they say they have bright lawn lights that can shine onto the windows if need be. Has anyone had success with this before?

You can't win against physics.  There is no exact solution for this problem.  

As far as the lights on the windows at night, this will work to an extent if they are really bright and pointing directly at the windows.  Duplicating what the sun does is going to be tough at night.  This will also affect the the interior view and the amount of light will be noticeable.  The darker the film (i.e. a 5% silver) will be the most effective but the darker you go the harder it will still be to see out of at night.   

Good luck.  :beer   

I am searching for a way to explain this to otherwise seemingly intelligent humans without raising my voice and screaming at them.  I just got off the phone with a Window Contractor who can not understand this concept to save his life. I have known him for 30 years and have explained this 100+ times as well as to his customers.  I had another customer for whom I tinted 2 panes, 45x755, with a DR 35. The glass has a light gray smoke color to begin with.  His complaint was that you can still see in at night and the glass was reflective on the inside.  The glass with no film was mirror like at night. It could be due to all his walls being white or mirrors. It could be because he had more halogen lights in a small room than Lowes. I've spent more time on the phone and even made a nighttime house call to try to explain this mysterious phenomenon of physics that he never notice in his 68 years of existence. I left saying, you can't understand the professionally written data sheets, you can't understand anything I say, you can't understand what you are seeing with your own eyes, then I can't help you. He was a chronic interrupter so I literally had to tell him to shut up and listen.  

If anyone has found a way to explain this better, I'd love to hear it.

@DougW  Yeah, good luck.  I have had the same issue for years.  Using the "downtown buildings at night" example and they still don't get it.  The only way to get it across is to actually show them(put them in the situation).  Meaning you would have to go to the house at night with the brightest lights you can find, point them at said window with them standing outside with you.  They will see the light reflection causes you not to see in until you turn it off and there is no more light.  You would also have to have someone inside turning all the other lights on or off to show that difference also.  

I have this type of set-up at my shop using the big glass windows and doors that separate my waiting area from my work area with mirrored film on them. I am able to turn off the light up front and keep the light on in back or vice versa, to help show the actual physics of the situation. It's not perfect but it sorta helps.  

The other option for putting them in this situation is if they have a tinted vehicle and a very dark garage, put them inside the vehicle, turn the lights out in garage and turn the interior lights on in the vehicle( add a bright work light or flashlight to make it bright inside the vehicle.  Then they will see that with light inside the vehicle, you can't see out in the dark.  In this demonstration, if the garage is dark enough, you can walk all the way up to vehicle and put your face on the glass and they won't see you until they turn all the lights off inside the vehicle.  

Trying to explain mechanical situations (physics) to people who don't get it or won't try to get it is VERY TOUGH and I HATE IT. :tantrum   

Edited by Bham

@DougW I always start by telling them there is NO SUCH THING as one way film. There is DAYTIME privacy, but it doesn't work at night.  Rather than trying to explain physics, I say "Our eyes can ONLY see from dark to light, we cannot see from light to dark. The example I use is try looking out into darkness from your home at night, you see nothing. 

But their friend told there is a special tint. Are you saying their friend is a liar?

No,  I saying he does not know what he is talking about. 

I had a drug rehab admin and staff wanting a film that some people could see through some times but other people can't, and isn't dark or reflective or frosted. Maybe drugs really do cause brain damage.

In addition to what was mentioned, I usually give them the example of CSI type shows where the detective is behind a '1 way mirror' watching and how in the room it's bright as day but when they show the hallway, it is always, always dark.

"People convinced against their will are of the same opinion still".....

Some people just don't *want* to understand because by understanding it means they can't get what they are looking for. 

On 1/25/2022 at 9:36 PM, Roach said:

Some people just don't *want* to understand because by understanding it means they can't get what they are looking for. 

They don't want to look or feel ignorant, which is counterintuitive to achieving a point of 'Wow, thanks, I did not know that (aka light bulb moment)'.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:14 AM, DougW said:

I had a drug rehab admin and staff wanting a film that some people could see through some times but other people can't.

Dual reflective 25-ish on the side of the glass looking for privacy, keep the lighting equal on both sides of the glass, and you get to see through (at that time). Want them NOT to see through sometimes, simply turn the lights out on the film side of the glass and make sure there is no light from windows on the privacy side.