Legal Vlt computation when vlt of actual window is also considered

In AZ, 33% is lowest legal vlt.  (driver's window) I have an installer telling me that 35 is legal to install over windows with vlt of 70.  The final vlt I compute for that is .35x.7=.245 or below legal limit.  The installer claims that legal limit does not consider vlt of window itself, just that of the film.  Seems to me tho, if I get checked, the LEO's machine will indicate the .245 and create problems for me.  Is the installer correct?  How would the officer differentiate between the two unless they are good at back-computing the math using the label on the window.  Will the label on the window even be readable with tint on it?

Meter it yourself...with an actual meter.

No cop is ever going to issue a ticket for what you are describing. My experience is you only get fined if you're an arse or your being let out of something more serious.

In the rare chance that it happens, challenge the meter used (is it certified/by whom) and any certs/training used to operate it.

It's been hot down there since forever. Unless you're rolling gangzstar dark film, nobody cares.

Bear in mind not all window films marketed as 35% film will meter at 35% coming off the roll, I've seen anywhere from 32% up to 43%. Your 70% side glass is also typically going to meter higher, 74% seems to be about average for most newer vehicles but I've seen mid to high 80's on older vehicles. At the end of the day you're overthinking it

If the film meters 35% or higher (most meter higher), then you should be right at 32%. No film that meters 35% out of the box will drop that low into the 20s. That formula does not equal real-world results. Have the shop cut a small piece of 35% and meter it on your glass. This is the only way to know.