Removing Tint on Tesla 3 rear windows and the defrost wires

watchdaride

Removed a tint last year on a tesla 3 rear window and it didnt take off the wire but the wires colors were un  even .Luckly the customer could live with it . I have someone been begging me to redo one but dont need the headache if the wire get damaged . Has any one removes a model 3 rear window and and the wires look perfect as original . 

Whilst I understand the risk of defroster line damage during film removal, I always ensure the customer is willing to take the chance that nothing may even go wrong, and that if there is loss of some or all of the lines, it's not my fault.

I didn't manufacture the glass, nor did I necessarily install the old film. So why would you assume responsibility?

I attempt to save as many lines as possible, because work is work right? But their car, their problem.

Yeah, I black bagged it with soap/water for 1/2day rewetting every 30/40min. A few lines came out uneven but didn't take 'em off completely. Maybe about 3inches worth over the whole surface. 

What I learned is to just not be in a hurry. If it looks like it's tacking, stop and soak again.

Pull slow and if the glue won't come with the film, just soak and wait. I've gotten to where I use hot water when I soak and resoak to try to heat it more quickly and evenly.

Also found that if I spray with hot water when I pull the glue steams and pulls with the film alot better.

5 hours ago, Dano said:

Pull slow and if the glue won't come with the film, just soak and wait. I've gotten to where I use hot water when I soak and resoak to try to heat it more quickly and evenly.

Also found that if I spray with hot water when I pull the glue steams and pulls with the film alot better.

Do you not use a steamer?

I do. Most of the time I would rather let the sun do the work while I do something else. The steamer is for when I'm pressed for time and/or I'm not worried about pulling the lines.

Black bagging gets everything heated more evenly. Behind the brake lights and deep into rear decks that I may not want to pull or scrape glue from.

Here I used a steamer to streach a headlight from edge to edge yesterday. I know it's not tint but I reach for what I think is the right tool for whatever task is at hand.20230711_082200.jpg.2773e5a9220abe097c6da0103253ea8a.jpg

FWIW I've never seen anyone else do one of these to the edge like this. Most probably wouldn't bother. Going the extra mile is how I've keep a good name and keep my clients happy long term.