General question on tint quoting/pricing

Hi there guys, first post here.  And I don't wanna come across as a Karen but well......... lol

I have a car from the 1980's and have the glass out of the car.  I have called some tint shops and they are insistent on knowing what type of vehicle it is.  I just say "well I'm just bringing the glass separately so make doesn't apply".  The reason I try to dodge around it is past experience with dishonest businesses.  Kind of 2023 people in general, sadly.  Anyways, what I'm getting at is I am trying to see who's going to just dig and dig for that information.  I just can't help think that they're trying to price it based on what type of car I have.  If I say I have a Bentley versus an 80's Civic, I can see them thinking $$$$ on one car and $ on the other, if you know what I mean.  And no it's not a Bentley or a Civic, heh.

So for the 'honest' pros out there, what is the importance of knowing my vehicle so badly?  Keeping it from them I sound like a weirdo because well most people would just ramble their make/model off, and what I am doing is well, weird but I'm tired of getting ripped off.

Any inputs?  Much appreciated.

Also, is ceramic that much better if I'm keeping the car long term?

Dave

Edited by nehuge

We need to know what kind of car it is for several good reasons. Some cars are very easy, and take little time. Other cars require a high level of expertise and time. Both are priced accordingly.

Also some cars have issues that make them problematic to tint. We aren't trying to rip you off anymore than any other field.

I wouldn't even consider agreeing to tint ANY glass out of any vehicle without knowing what I'm up against.  The 80s have many, many not so nice vehicles to work on...even with the glass removed (it can actually make it more difficult in some cases).  No different, for example, if I was selling a vehicle but wouldn't list make, model, year and just say it has 4 doors and 4 tires...a vehicle is a vehicle, right?  I think you are being a little too paranoid thinking someone is going to rip you off lol.  Good luck.

Edited by Darkimag22

20 minutes ago, TintDude said:

20 minutes ago, TintDude said:

You have to consider that mistakes happen and replacing a part on a Kia is a little less expensive that replacing a part on a Bentley.

If the part is even available....

Laying film when it's out of the car increases the difficulty by a factor of 5. Also increases the opportunity to damage it as well.

I've got a dollar that says he scratches the film before he gets it reinstalled...

Nobody really wants to work on old restorations. Half the time they are glued together without the right clips and the fabric/vinyl/leather is brittle with a fresh coat of dye that starts running as soon as it gets wet. Don't even get me started about the cardboard panel backers...

Sometimes you have to pay the cost to be the boss. This is one of those times.

Without sarcasm, yes the ceramic film is worth every penny.

We need to know the vehicle so we know the difficulty of glass and charge accordingly especially older vehicles. You could have a 1988 Mustang or a 1988 Porsche 944 which takes twice as long and uses more film. No reason to be paranoid, just answer the questions. That way there are no surprises for you or the shop when you show up.

Most shops won't tint glass outside of the vehicle since it is hard to secure the glass. We rarely get asked but when we do, it is a no thank you.

Ceramic just helps to block heat. Some may last a little longer than base films but I would expect a same lifespan. The longest lasting film will be metalized.

34 minutes ago, DynamicATL said:

We need to know the vehicle so we know the difficulty of glass and charge accordingly especially older vehicles. You could have a 1988 Mustang or a 1988 Porsche 944 which takes twice as long and uses more film. No reason to be paranoid, just answer the questions. That way there are no surprises for you or the shop when you show up.

Most shops won't tint glass outside of the vehicle since it is hard to secure the glass. We rarely get asked but when we do, it is a no thank you.

Ceramic just helps to block heat. Some may last a little longer than base films but I would expect a same lifespan. The longest lasting film will be metalized.

Okay, so if you had 1988 Mustang glass out of the vehicle and 1988 Porsche 944 glass out of the vehicle, what makes the Porsche take twice as long besides more film?  Just trying to follow the logic.

Mustang glass is flatter, 944 is severely curved which requires more skill and patience to shape it to the glass resulting in a lot more work and time. Majority of shops would not be able to install it on that glass. The glass being in the vehicle or out of the vehicle does not matter besides it bring harder to install on any glass out of the vehicle. It is like you calling a cleaning service to get a quote for your home but don't want to tell them sqft and how many stories. It doesn't make any sense.

7 hours ago, nehuge said:

Okay, so if you had 1988 Mustang glass out of the vehicle and 1988 Porsche 944 glass out of the vehicle, what makes the Porsche take twice as long besides more film?  Just trying to follow the logic.

Have you ever looked at a 944 rear glass? It's curves are compounded and irregular like a bowl in every direction, rear spoiler made of foam rubber and usually a window wiper motor to remove or work around. That glass is also heavy af. 

Just look for a video of someone trying to tint the car you are requesting to find the nuance of what it takes to get a good install. There is also a makes and models section here on this forum.