stupid tennessee window tint laws

Guest black camaro

OK I realize that this thread started in 04 but I wanted to address something about the tint law not being a primary law.

First um....it is! Not only is it a primary offense law, the burden of proof is on the driver not the POlice.

The state of TN tint law 55-9-107 states that you cant have more than %70 on your front windshild except for the factory shade blind. This means all you guys with that strip to the American Standard 1 line (AS1) you are in violation of the law unless its just %3 cause most windshields are %73 as is.

As for all sides they have to have a VLT of %35 or higher unless you have commercial tags, are the police or special exempt gov vehicle. Then you can have the back ones darker but still not the windshield or front driver/passenger.

Last but not least are these websites like IWFA and TINTLAW they all use the same state "tint chart" and they all show that MPV's can have side tint dark as you want. This is not true and the law was rewritten in 2011 to make it easier for everyone to understand. Don't be fooled by a guy tinting out of his garage! Just like every chick wth a camera is a "photographer" it seems nowadays every tool with a roll of tint thinks he owns a tint company.......

Now I can finally sleep better at night. I have waited 7 years for this resolution to this thread! :lol

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK I realize that this thread started in 04 but I wanted to address something about the tint law not being a primary law.

First um....it is! Not only is it a primary offense law, the burden of proof is on the driver not the POlice.

The state of TN tint law 55-9-107 states that you cant have more than %70 on your front windshild except for the factory shade blind. This means all you guys with that strip to the American Standard 1 line (AS1) you are in violation of the law unless its just %3 cause most windshields are %73 as is.

As for all sides they have to have a VLT of %35 or higher unless you have commercial tags, are the police or special exempt gov vehicle. Then you can have the back ones darker but still not the windshield or front driver/passenger.

Last but not least are these websites like IWFA and TINTLAW they all use the same state "tint chart" and they all show that MPV's can have side tint dark as you want. This is not true and the law was rewritten in 2011 to make it easier for everyone to understand. Don't be fooled by a guy tinting out of his garage! Just like every chick wth a camera is a "photographer" it seems nowadays every tool with a roll of tint thinks he owns a tint company.......

Now I can finally sleep better at night. I have waited 7 years for this resolution to this thread! :lol

:nuts sounds pretty close but not exactly correct. Law was rewritten in 2010. You are not supose to install 5% on any window in TN. And you are allowed to apply 35% film to your front windows no matter how dark they are from the factory. Oh and the limit on the rear of trucks vans and SUV's 18%.

Oh and the limit on the rear of trucks vans and SUV's 18%.

When did this happen and where is it posted ? Not arguing here, just wanting some clarification.

I`m not seeing any change here = http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?...m&cp=tncode

i had a customer bring me a print out about 6 months ago. They thought they could have the back of their car as dark as they wanted it, but i don't remember where it was from. If you want to know the exact wording of the TN tint Law contact Lee at solar insulation in nashville. I believe he had a part in rewriting it. :sad

When did this happen and where is it posted ? Not arguing here, just wanting some clarification.

I`m not seeing any change here = http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?...m&cp=tncode

i had a customer bring me a print out about 6 months ago. They thought they could have the back of their car as dark as they wanted it, but i don't remember where it was from. If you want to know the exact wording of the TN tint Law contact Lee at solar insulation in nashville. I believe he had a part in rewriting it. :cool

Interesting I would be in the wrong... I have been misinformed....

i had a customer bring me a print out about 6 months ago. They thought they could have the back of their car as dark as they wanted it, but i don't remember where it was from. If you want to know the exact wording of the TN tint Law contact Lee at solar insulation in nashville. I believe he had a part in rewriting it. :thumb

Interesting I would be in the wrong... I have been misinformed....

honestly most the police don't even know the laws. Most cops are still going by the old saying if i can't see through it. then it's to dark. Most tickets i see around here are just for front doors only. They aren't writing tickets for cars having the rear darker then the front. Even though a car in the state of TN is supose to 35% all the way around no darker. And if i'm correct I think that mean 35% film added to what the factory vlt% of the glass. :beer

And if i'm correct I think that mean 35% film added to what the factory vlt% of the glass. :beer

Thats the way I understand it too. The problem with our law is its so vague and allows the officer to basicly enforce it as he see`s fit. I have been to court with several customers that have gotten tickets from cops using light meters and have beaten all but one. In that one case, the judge sided with his officer from the get-go, and wasn`t budging on his interpretation of the law. Every car had carbon 35 and they all metered 31-29%

the only thing they do around my area is get people for the 2 front doors. I don't even think most the cops around here realize the law has changed. TN law use to be 35% on the front doors and any on the rear and BG of everything.

Personailly I wish we could get a tint law like New Mexico I think it's 20% all around. :lol2

Without a medical exemption you are are your own----how much is the tix?

Be Safe,

Jimmy

The ticket varies depending on the county/city. The state has a set amount and then the county/city gets to tack on their part. Last I heard here, a ticket was $160. Oh, and if you get it corrected before court, they still hit ya with court costs.

Archived