Help...Can I tint a BG on a '04 CTS with

Texastintchick

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes antennae for automotive GPS and XM appear like icebergs (pardon the pun)... I.e., there is more to them than meets the eye.

CP tested a variety of their films a few years ago for RF (radio frequency) attenuation and found that it varies from type of metal used and the density of deposition. Even a conductive ceramic can contribute to EMI (electromagnetic interference).

Other factors that play into this phenom is quality of equipment and quality of signal.

More than likely PP will produce EMI with the navigation, OnStar, cell phone and radar detectors, not to mention AM radio.

FYI... Copper alloys seem to be most effective at blocking RF.

If going forward with the install of this film and the result is no interference at all, all is good. However, this is unlikely. :thumb

Guest SQUEEGEE

I've done several of these and left nothing to chance. Your bigger concern should be removing the back seat and rear deck to get your tint beyond the lower deck where it often sits a good 1/2" above the glass borderline.

Check TOTW section for "Art of Tint's" very detailed and accurate description for removal.

I first remove the mounted antenna.

I usually cut out a small square in the installed tint (the size of the metal contacts) then re-attach the antenna. A small roll of 3M double sided tape helps.

Good luck.

:thumb

Well...............

I am not in the habit of using FULL metalized film (ie PP or Infinity) on such a car.  But this lady ABSOLUTELY wants this film on her car.  I just want a heads up if I ABSOLUTELY need to talk her out of it :lol6

[*]236366

I would let the customer be aware of possible problems {Noted on the Recipt} and if they still want the PP, let them pay for what they want possibly twice if they want it stripped and a hybred film applied ! $$$ :lol

All done :lol

No interference thus far :lol6  Back seat and rear deck removal...Mr P :lol6 good to have a man around :bling

Customer is very happy...

[*]236696

This is good to know... thanks! :lol

Archived