70% front glass laws

Guest signandtint

Guest signandtint

a question to all tinters who are restricted by 70% min LT laws

what are the consequences of tinting say for instance with 50% vlt film in your area?

have any of you been either procecuted or threatened with it for doing so?

the reason I ask is here in the UK legislation was finally changed and clarified here last year which states no darker than 70% vlt on front drivers and passenger door glass, I presume similar to certain states there.

as this has now been in force since jan 2004 and as yet it seems no one has been procecuted here from the installation end, if there are cases over there which have occurred.

I personally heard from a customer yesterday who had been stopped with 50% film on the fronts that the police officer who stopped him said they were now turning there attention to the tint shops, to try and charge them for aiding and abetting an offense.

feedback appreciated

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well my friend, im in california, I've done my handfull of 50% even darker actually, here in california its allowed 70% no more or nothing . frankly its a non fair law in my opinion, iv'e heard they can go after tint shops, but that never really happens, considering we the shop owners , taxpayers, goes directly to gov funding im assuming, so it never really happens,. nor do I know anyone who have been busted, even though we have a disclaimer on our invoices about the window tint laws, and how they are doign the D/P at they're risk of being pulled over, for the people whom I 've installed 70, 50, 35% which are pretty "illegal" havent been pulled over or come back, in reality the ones who get in trouble is the person with the tinted windows in the front, never after the local tint shop, I think its all a matter of the person (customer) if they want to report the local business then I think the city (gov) would go after. hell, like I said, and I repeat myself, I've never seen or heard of anyone (tint shop) get busted for doing illegal tint jobs.

my .02 :bingo

Guest signandtint

thanks TD

I guess thats how the police here will play it, no doubt they will have to follow suit.

we do tint a fair amount of police officers cars, they still have 50% fitted to fronts and have commented that its not an issue, there concerns are dark films, by which they mean 35% and darker, but obviously im sure when push comes to shove in a court room it will be by the book.

its an awkward 1 alright

Guest signandtint

well my friend, im in california, I've done my handfull of 50% even darker actually, here in california its allowed 70% no more or nothing . frankly its a non fair law in my opinion

HI Tint

I totally agree, we are now in our 12th year of tinting. they only got heavy last year so I guess its all new to them, as yet we have had no problems. was it always the case in your area regarding 70% or did it change recently?

you see the problem here is there was never a law up until last january so a lot of cars are already out there tinted, mostly 35% fronts.

now drivers are being pulled over and told their car is illegal.

its a strange situation :copcar

well my friend, im in california, I've done my handfull of 50% even darker actually, here in california its allowed 70% no more or nothing . frankly its  a non fair law in my opinion, iv'e heard they can go after tint shops, but that never really happens, considering we the shop owners , taxpayers, goes directly to gov funding im assuming, so it never really happens,. nor do I know anyone who have been busted, even though we have a disclaimer on our invoices about the window tint laws, and how they are doign the D/P at they're risk of being pulled over, for the people whom I 've installed 70, 50, 35% which are pretty "illegal" havent been pulled over or come back, in reality the ones who get in trouble is the person with the tinted windows in the front, never after the local tint shop, I think its all a matter of the person (customer) if they want to report the local business then I think the city (gov) would go after. hell, like I said, and I repeat myself, I've never seen or heard of anyone (tint shop) get busted for doing illegal tint jobs.

my .02 :inot

[*]249865

So my question is, if you provide a disclaimer stating "yes this is illegal film and it's at your risk to drive your vehicle on public roads" which basically says that you did knowingly install illegal film....could that still come back on you even though you warned the customer? From my understanding, it's no...the shop/installer can still be held liable EVEN WITH a disclaimer saying that all fault and blame goes on the customer. But I'm not sure, anyone know for certain? :copcar

Archived