How long does it take you to shrink a BG?

Guest pushingfingers
How long does it take you pro's to shrink a back glass on a GTO/Grand-am/Mustang ???  Takes me about an hour to do my friends GTO. I'm starting to understand how the film shrinks and moves when shrinking but it just takes a long time.  I've heard of people shrinking back glass's in less than 10 minutes. I can't see how thats possible.  You can only move so fast and have to shrink so much to get it to lay flat without creasing or burning it, I just don't see how its possible. Perhaps my method is totaly off. Maybe someone can tell me a crash course?

Or....  If anyone is near the metro-detroit area and is willing to let me come watch/ease drop for a day I would LOVE it

[*]328094

15 min and the window is shrunk and stuck

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint rookie
How long does it take you pro's to shrink a back glass on a GTO/Grand-am/Mustang ???? Takes me about an hour to do my friends GTO. I'm starting to understand how the film shrinks and moves when shrinking but it just takes a long time.? I've heard of people shrinking back glass's in less than 10 minutes. I can't see how thats possible.? You can only move so fast and have to shrink so much to get it to lay flat without creasing or burning it, I just don't see how its possible. Perhaps my method is totaly off. Maybe someone can tell me a crash course?

Or....? If anyone is near the metro-detroit area and is willing to let me come watch/ease drop for a day I would LOVE it

[*]328094

15 min and the window is shrunk and stuck

[*]328977

plus another half hour pushin fingers

Guest Retro Tint

Takes me about 20 minutes. It was only a few months ago I asked this very question. At that time it was almost 1 hour for me. Hang in there it does come to ya. I can't wait for the day when I can answer 5 or 10 minutes. :what

Never timed myself :what

I would guess 5 minutes, but I am slowwwwwwwwwwww :lol2

[*]328140

Haven't met a woman yet that could judge time and distance well... they sure can tell you length, though! :what:what:what

This thread legitimizes what I've always told newbies... there isn't a right way or a wrong way to do tint in terms of method or time... just do not hurt the film, the customer's car or yourself in the process. How you get there and in what amount of time is all relative....

I'm slowwwwwww...er...

Only shrink when training so the speed in gone. :lol

Guest Retro Tint
Takes me about 20 minutes. It was only a few months ago I asked this very question. At that time it was almost 1 hour for me. Hang in there it does come to ya. I can't wait for the day when I can answer 5 or 10 minutes. :what

[*]329155

nice work retro - keep up the hard work

I still take my time and usually avg 20-30 minutes per - but of course that sippin on the coffee, reading the playboy, etc

:what

[*]329156

Thats just the shrink. it still takes me some time to trim , prep, install. Not automatic yet. I have to pay attention to what I'm doing or I'll fark it up. About an hour total but that sure feels good after spending an hour just to shrink.

Someone, I think it was Sprinter, gave the tip of cutting out other patterns while top edge of doors are setting up instead of spending time heating each one. Whoever it was I would like to thank them for that tip. It has helped me out tremendously on over all time.

shrunk three back glasses yesterday first was a grand am 4dr from cleaning and cutting and shrinking and trimming to fit 20 mins....the second two went about the same on a ford focus 4rd and a mazda 3 4dr.....all are easy shrinks.....then another 15 to clean and install.....that also includes a couple phone calls while working....

I don't believe a word any of you nuts say.  :lol6

[*]329267

:poke:beer

its like these guys got someone with a stop watch timing them to see how much time it takes them....

[*]329268

Yeah...What the hell is the point? :lol

[*]329270

so that one day when a topic like this comes up, they have a DMC battle with someone else :passout

Archived