Gap or no gap?

Guest Shady

Do you completely film the side drop glass windows and file the top edge off or do you leave a small gap along the top edge?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you completely film the side drop glass windows and file the top edge off or do you leave a small gap along the top edge?

• I file along the top edge.
    • I leave a small gap.
    • It depends on how im feeling that day.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok this is gonna be a nob question.... What the hell is the difference?

My understanding is set the film on window... let dry a few mins, run razor across window.

Is shaving then leaving it there? Cause I know gap is obviously pulling it down a bit.

Guest tint rookie

some shave by over lapping a top edge (sides too on a frameless) 1/4 1/2 inch and trim with a file or blade.

a file will blend it into the frosted edge, pulling down a buthair will leave a gap.

so basically you got the idea to begin with

Leaving a tiny gap is the industry standard and is in no way "unprofessional". We all do things a bit differently, please be respectful of the other memebers when asserting an opinion, thanks. :lol6

[*]331454

Exactly TD!

This rouses my interest in rear screen techniques too where some here say it has to be one piece or it's free BS.

It's whatever each of us are comfortable with.

I'm still trying to find the name of the author who wrote "Auto Tinting Techniques done my way or you're a hacker."

Good call!

Personally I shave the edge with a blade only after the edge is dry. You can't do it even slightly off being completely dry. This way it leaves absolutely no gap.

PS. The poll needs another heading....who shaves the edges?

Devil

Interesting difference of opinions, also like some people havent even heard of filing, I neither have heard of shaving. I thought this would definately leave a sliver of film that would catch, but obviously not if done to a technique. I will continue myself to to file the top edge, as this is my way. However I see that leaving a minute skillfully placed gap is just as effective (and professional!). I will just have to make sure my tinters, if not filing, don't leave a gap the size pavarotti's finger!

Guest dave351cid

I have been tinting for nearly 9 years and have filed pretty much every car.

it is important to a lot of customers that there are no gaps and any way , I always try to give the best ,

excede their expectations and they will come back for more.

I have been tinting for nearly 9 years and have filed pretty much every car.

it is important to a lot of customers that there are no gaps and any way , I always try to give the best ,

excede their expectations and they will come back for more.

[*]331554

G'day Dave,

Nothing like another Aussie banana bender new to the forum. :beer

That's pretty much how it is right around OZ.....no gaps firstly demanded by the better tinters and now the entire public. :lol6

Cheers digger,

Devil

Guest afterhours

I filed every car I did for the first year or so after I learned how. nobody really noticed unless I said "hey look at this nobody else does it"... well do this day im still the only person withing 80 miles of my shop that can do it the right way but no one notices and they wont pay extra and it takes me longer so I don't really do it as much.

Archived