Anybody a one man shop?

Guest Terrapin

Guest Terrapin

I'm considering leasing a small shop but I'm a little apprehensive.

How do you handle the workload while answering the phones and dealing with customers coming in? I think customers would be turned off by getting an answering machine during the day. Anyone work with a headset to talk on the phone while working?

What if your message said you'd return calls between a set time and ask them to leave their number.

From what I can tell, the town I'm moving to doesn't have another full time tint shop so I don't have to worry about losing customers to another shop, but at the same time, I don't want to leave a bad impression with anyone either.

Any thoughts? :lol6

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a one man shop outta cincinnati. It's not hard being on your own, customers are patient enough to wait their turn. If you can work and talk at the same time it won't be a problem. I have a good size showroom with a smaller room at the end for a seperate waiting room for customers to watch t.v. or take a nap. Even if they don't wait in the showroom there's nothing wrong with letting them watch you work.

Guest thetintshop

I'm a one man shop, but I do have a little help, my wife will answer the phone if I'm REALLY busy. first thing, during the busy season, always allow your self longer on cars. if the job will take 3 hours, tell the customer 4. if you finish in 3, great. just like right now, I finished 30 minutes before my next one shows up, so I get to take a little break. never line them up out the door unless you have help, cause there's nothing worse than a customer coming to pick up his car and you have to make him wait another hour for you to finish. also, get used to working at night. if the customer is willing to leave it over night, I jump all over it. you can work when it's cooler, the phones not ringing, no customers are coming by and you can take your time and enjoy it.

buy a small cheap cordless phone to keep with you all the time, and learn to work with it pressed against your shoulder. (customers hate answering machines in the middle of the day) I say cheap because you're gonna drop it, and it sucks dropping a $150 cordless on the concrete. some people don't like the customers to watch, I used to hate it. but I let my customers sit right in my shop and watch, if they can handle the heat!! I've found that most customers who watch tend not to "pick it to death" like the ones who drop them off. plus, most places don't let the customers watch and alot of people have never seen it done, so you get to show off a little. on the negative side, get ready for alot of STUPID questions.

another thing on the phone, make sure you get call waiting, and caller ID is a big plus. I always look to see who it is that way if I'm really busy and it's my parents, wife, ect, I don't have to answer it.

it's hard at first, even a little scary when there are 6-7 people standing around waiting on you and the phone's ringing at the same time. but it can be done. wish you all the luck, and hope you don't give up on it cause it's a very rewarding feeling at the end of a busy day.

Guest Braud Spectrum

One Woman shop here. :mrgreen:

I enjoy visiting while I tint. Usually they watch in awe. Takes a little longer but I think they see how it's done and appreciate how clean a job is knowing what goes into getting it that way. Plus they are more likely to think of someone else to tell of their experience. The last thing I say before they leave is "Thanks for letting me tint it. Send me somebody." And they DO!

I have a cordless and sometimes when I pick up vehicles from my dealers I forward calls to the cell. ( hee hee I can even be in Walmart shopping and set up appointments.) I do work by appointment only. And my shop is right behind the house. Commercial/residential area. Used to have a REAL shop with several tinters, a secretary/receptionist even a salesman. But I ended up waiting on the customers anyway.

Now it's just me. My biggest concern was how the heck to get those big old pieces of tint on the back window alone. But I use my head and feet and whatever else necessary. I'm sure it's not too graceful looking when they watch, But who cares? I like it so much better this way. "sides I can run in the house between cars and start supper. Jump in the pool. :beach Be here when the kids get off the bus from school. Even my laundry stays caught up.

Guest Braud Spectrum

Well now how about that!!! :mrgreen: I think I can handle it. I had tried something similar many years ago only top to bottom sort of like that Peeled the whole liner and put it back on wet. Didn't use the roller, tho. And it seemed to want to kink and was more aggravation than it was worth. What do you use for the roller, dowells?

Archived