I suck and need help

OK, I'm still having some issues with shrinking back windows. I tried to one piece the back of a 2dr Cobalt and kept mucking it up. Is there any cheap CD's out there that are cheap that I could buy. There's got to be something simple I am missing. Yes, I've tried powder, wet, Ivory soap and fabric softener. Wet seems to work the best for me but I'm still having issues. Customers don't seem to complain about it mainly because I am so cheap but I've gotta get better at this. :krazy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me man-get the ivory out and learn the soap method! It is by far (IMO) the best way! Switching from one method to another will only confuse you! I do almost every back glass the same way! Practice and pay attention to the results! One on one-I could have you shrinkin away in one day! :krazy Sorry-I dont have a video! TG????? :lol6

IMO cobalts are fish bowls and unless the new film I am getting ready to use is different then I do them in 2. Less stess on the film and better logevity for the adhesive. Dmn auto manufactures and the overly curved glass.

I use the dryer sheet method and used to use the powder. I have not tried the soap but have not had any issues with the dryer sheet chems......

Keep at it and you will get it.

as a fellow leaner I gotta say I was very frustrated and not sure if I could shrink a back glass then I tried the soap method.. boyaah it was a cake walk for me after that. I wouldnt try any other method.. just keep grabbin scrap pieces an practice shrinkin them on the corners of a back glass thats how I practiced.

Guest solarspot
Trust me man-get the ivory out and learn the soap method! It is by far (IMO) the best way! Switching from one method to another will only confuse you! I do almost every back glass the same way! Practice and pay attention to the results! One on one-I could have you shrinkin away in one day! :lol Sorry-I dont have a video! TG????? :wall

:thumb listen to this advise

soap it up and keep at it once you get used to it you'll have no more problems

this method is very forgiving if you start messing up you can pull it out with practice

this car is a bugger at first but once you learn it just another back glass

trust me work at bow tie dealer do about 4 a week hated them at first now just another car don't even think about it

once you know you have messed up play with it do stuff you normally wouldn't do take that knoledge

and next time film starts acting crazy you will know how to fix it

good luck :wall

practice practice practice.

My first car took me 23 hours to finish. Fortunately it was a very good friend of mine. But it took me 3 days to finally complete. I did the quarters first, then then roll downs, then the back glass. I went through 5 pieces of film on the back glass. Learned alot. My next car took me 8 hours, now I'm down to 4-5 hours per car. I still have alot of room for improvement but I tint on the side and only do about 1-2 cars per month.

Keep the gun moving, shrink it in a wide motion.

Well, I tried the Ivory soap thing once but unsure if I did it right because I had some trouble. How much soap in the water do you use??? Maybe I didn't use enough? Wet shrink is all I can seem to do at the moment but listening to everyone on here, that's not the way do it.

The 2 things I have a lot of problems with is creasing and fingers. On the Cobalt I actually had shrinked it enough to where it looked pretty good. It only had a few real small fingers so I thought I was good to go. When I put it on the glass, I had huge fingers everywhere and sure enough, messing with it too much caused me to crease it in 2 places.

I'd rather just give it up but there's no one else around me that does tinting and when things do go well, it's easy money.

Got another question. I want to test shrinking on my SRT4 but I've already got tint on it that I did and messed up(covered it up with vinyl). How can I take that off reasonably easy with out losing my rear defrost. I hear people on here to just pull it off after it's been soaked with amonia then go over it with steel wool but won't that mess up the defrost too with the steel wool? :thumb

Well, got some Suntek and JP samples in today. I'm waiting for my shrinking cd from you know who PM'd me. Once I get that and get the nerve up to remove the tint on my srt4 (haven't tried removing without messing up rear defrost yet) I'll try some newer shrinking methods and hopefully I'll get something that'll work for me. :beer

Archived