CPFilms, Screwing the pooch?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dan-mark
After reading everyone's posts, It does make me wonder how professional painters feel about stores selling paint direct to the consumer, or autoparts stores selling parts to DIY mechanics, etc.

I suppose It's exactly the same.

Oh, well.

true! my brother makes a killin valetin cars mobile- for both priate customers and dealers like tinters, but everyones got a vacuum and sponge so why do they ring him? cus they want it done proffessionally. and its borin lets face it. you only have to look on the forum 5 minutes to realize its a mission tintin a car

Too many good points to quote, so I wont use them. I will just respond in one lump some.

The bottom line to our industry is quite simple, it is bieng hizzo out! wether it be a diyer , a manu selling pre cut film, or the new guy opening up shop down the street. Some of you with only a few years exp, in this business may not notice it, but those of us with over ten can see it. I remember when I first started out in this business. There where maybe 5 tint shops around that you could go to, Now there are over 50. I now see more people coming in with pre cut kits, then jus the rolls of gila.

Do I think the diyer's and precut kits, are going to destroy the industry? of course not, but it is another set back for the professional, who makes a living from it! realisticly speaking the pre cut kits, do cost us all some money. Wether you want to admit it or not, they do. Maybe not a whole lot of money, but some none the less. we are all guilty I am sure of doing a job, outside of our profession to save money. Maybe it was dry walling a room yourself, because you didn't want to pay a professional to do it. Now did your local contactor go out of business, because you did your own room? of course not, but that is one less job he got, and less money made that year for him! Now it may not have come out as nice as if he had done it, but your happy with the end result! Same thing with the diyer in tinting! The job does not need to be at a profesional level, for them to be happy with it. It just needs to be good enough to make them happy. Now the precut kits make thier task even easier, so more people will attempt it. Half of wich will be happy with thier end result! Since they are happy with what they have accomplished, you will not see them at your shop. Before the pre cut kits came out, only a 1/4 of them would have been happy with thier work. Because they would have screwed up the cuts, and then come to you. So yes these pre cut kits will cost us all money!!!

Now the real set back to the diyer's Is not so much the money, that we will lose. Because I only see it bieng, maybe ten to 20 cars a year, lost to a diyer. It is the after shock of them doing thier own work! Unlike you dry walling your bedroom, where only people in your home will see the work. These cars are out on the road all day, for the world to see. With nobody knowing except for thier friends, who did the job. So when someone else see's that job, then goes to a pro. To have their own windows tinted, on thier car. It subjects us to even more scrutiny, from the customer. Because they want to make sure, thier car does not look like the one they just saw, In the parking lot of 7/11.

Now I am not asking to stop helping these people! We have been there and done that. I have my feeling's on it, and you are all entitled to your feelings on the issue!

Guest Retro Tint

Lots of good points.

My take is that its a good industry news topic.

I've always thought its humorous, how tinters think they're industry is somehow different from all industries. Lowe's & Home Depot sell roofing, plumbing, electrical, lumber to diy, yet there will always be roofers, plumbers, electricians and carpenders.

Home Improvement shows help diy with the how to. By creating more awareness (ideas) like maybe I need a new sink or new wallpaper, it actually promotes more business! Some will hire out. Some will diy. To me it equals more work and more product sold for all.

This site helps all. Pro and diy. Its all GOOD! :lol2

Guest 1PEECBARETTA
Lots of good points.

I've always thought its humorous, how tinters think they're industry is somehow different from all industries. Lowe's & Home Depot sell roofing, plumbing, electrical, lumber to diy, yet there will always be roofers, plumbers, electricians and carpenders.

Home Improvement shows help diy with the how to. By creating more awareness (ideas) like maybe I need a new sink or new wallpaper, it actually promotes more business! Some will hire out. Some will diy. To me it equals more work and more product sold for all.

every structure built needs lumber pluming ect. It's a larger market, tint is a small industry and market, way more competitive

Lots of good points.

There is a huge diference between those shows and this forum. One the guy doing the show is profiting from the show in two ways. The show pays him a hefty pay, and his business gets publicity! " Hey thats the guy from the show" Another big difference is what they show you how to do. They skip right past the dry wall instructions, and move onto a job that requires a $20.000 lathe to be completed!

Guest dan-mark

:lol2 . dont think you can compare tintin to other trades. I dunno, but it seems to me if u have a leak in the roof, burst pipe or electrical problem u need a proffessional or youll bodge it... if your car breaks down you need a mechanic... who needs a tinter? its like alloy wheels- you dont need one! ........ im just sayin! :lol2

then again, might get afew tintin emergencies from these packs!

Archived