Be careful with the heat lamps!

We were putting some 8 mill clear on some DPNT windows to get around the tempered near the floor code rule. The builder already had the windows and forgot about the rule before putting them in. The windows are Jeld Wen casement low e argon wood that looked like 6 individual french panes. We were having trouble getting it to dry(8 mill facing north in the winter)So, we put the heat lamps on them. Nothing too big. Small 300 watt lamps. We have done this many times without trouble. After about 30 minutes one cracked. Oh well. It happens. So, we moved the lights to the next window and put them 12" from the glass. About 30 minutes later another broke. Thats when we loaded up and went home. Its not our day. We got the glass shop out and were surprised to find out it was one solid piece of glass. It looked like 6 panes to us, the builder and the glass shop. But after taking the woodwork off we could see it was one piece. I assume thats why it broke. We thought we were heating up one small pane but we were only heating one corner. The end result is $550 for the glass plus install and paint work.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were having trouble getting it to dry(8 mill facing north in the winter)So, we put the heat lamps on them. Nothing too big. Small 300 watt lamps.

We have done this many times without trouble.

Um..not to come off as an asshat...but what were you thinking :lol2

You got more balls than me ..I'd would never put concentrated heat on ANY dualpane unevenly IMO (but that could be because I'm in Canada with greater temp fluxuations :spit )

Either way, that sux to have to pay out :lol2

what good is putting the lamps on it...whys it matter if your having trouble with it drying, have you not see this? >>>> :spit

Im sorry but you are incorrect. It will not always dry. Try it for yourself and you will see. Security film in the winter with no direct sunlight will not always dry perfect. If there is too much water it will scar.

wow tough room...guy just payed out over 5 bills.....its only like his 18th post.....and he is a limp wrist.....

life is a learning lesson.....no heat on house glass...and push hard.....

good luck

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the kind words. Never mind 17 years experience, Vista platinum, advanced solar control with IWFA, security and frame lock training with CP. Then the fact that you are putting security on wooden french panes and pay for your mistakes. Try something different to get better results and the geniuses come out of the woodwork. Some of us are here to learn and help others. Others are here to put people down to push themselves up. Thanks again and all helpful post are welcome.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the kind words. Never mind 17 years experience, Vista platinum, advanced solar control with IWFA, security and frame lock training with CP. Then the fact that you are putting security on wooden french panes and pay for your mistakes. Try something different to get better results and the geniuses come out of the woodwork. Some of us are here to learn and help others. Others are here to put people down to push themselves up. Thanks again and all helpful post are welcome.

whom ever are those who dare and certify you are on crack!

I've done tons of security installations, 8, 12, 21 mil so dont give me shiat. just push hard.. :beer

Archived