anyone in ny get a letter from the attorney general?

jttint1

:rollin Tell him if he has any waivers to whoop those out :rollin j/k :spit

Waivers don't neam diddly when the law says it is illegal to apply the tint!!!! New York is such a joke whet it comes to auto tint

Sounds like they need to look into dirty politicians in NY, not tint shops :twocents

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Marco
:twocents Maybe it was for something else, do they do other work too? I think if if they can come down on a window tinter they should be doing the same for stereo installers breaking the noise ordinance laws, even these big rims aren't street legal, clear tail lights, colored headlights, driving and eating driving and using your cell phone, driving with a cracked windshield, having a loud exhaust. lets just go down the list of other illegal things and see why the only after market accessory people panic over is window tint :rollin I am curious to know why that is :rollin

Guest JUSTIN

State attorney general usually offers services to consumer complaints, or other legal entites when those entities need assistance. My thoughts are that for illegal window film installation, that business would have been contacted by city attorney rather than attorney general. Letter from attorney general probably means something way more serious was taking place, like dr*g dealing, money laundering, etc....unless consumers were defrauded on a large scale thinking they were getting legal film installed when they were switched with illegal.

Guest Key West
a friend of mine who will remane nameless,faxed me a letter that he recived from the attorney general.they want to investegate his company.they want to see all invoices,advertising ,product info ect. from jan 1,2006. they want to meet within a week.im shaking in my pants,dont want to check my mailbox.flat glass here I come!

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, COMPLY!!!! They need a subpeona to get your books/records. Be nice, but unless they have a supeona you are not required to give them access to ANYTHING about your private business. Right now, all you NY tinters need to band together and get a "slush fund" going for legal representation. Call an atty NOW!! Let them know whats happening. An atty will tell you the same thing. That letter is just a bluff, now if they are investigating YOUR FRIEND personally, they may well have a subpeona. If they have one, then he has no recourse but to comply. Get a copy of the subpeona and or warrant for his/your attorney. That warrant MUST spell out why they are there, what they are looking for, and the items to be seized. On a side note, they also need a subpeona/warrant to look at your bank records. My suggestion to you and your friend is get legal representation NOW!!!

State attorney general usually offers services to consumer complaints, or other legal entites when those entities need assistance. My thoughts are that for illegal window film installation, that business would have been contacted by city attorney rather than attorney general. Letter from attorney general probably means something way more serious was taking place, like dr*g dealing, money laundering, etc....unless consumers were defrauded on a large scale thinking they were getting legal film installed when they were switched with illegal.

New York is on a mission when it comes to tint. They are in the early stages of looking into it. The problem is, everyone has to install the so called'illegal film' to survive. If you have an auto installattion shop only, you are not going to make a living with 70% vlt only. and specialty vehicles don't bring enough regular work. It is a double edged sword on this issue. You can stay quiet, ride it out, and go back to business as usual soon. OR get legal representation, and bring it to the froefront of the battle. Either one could be suicide. Remember, the law still states now lower than 70%. If you begin a fight, you had best be prepared for what comes. It could help change the law, or help to make tighter restrictions on film installation. Seek legal advice, but proceed with caution. It is easy for us in other states to tell you what to do. But, we don't face the battle you do(yet). Stricter laws in NY, could bring to tidal flow to neighboring states, and cause a wake that flows across the country. Florida is pretty loose when it comes to film installation, but let NY pass a tighter law and have some county sheriff in Fla. have a shooting he can try to blame on dark tint and see what happens.

My only advice is to seek out your fellow tinters, find legal advice and see what happens. Good Luck.

Guest Tunefx

I am a tint shop on Long Island and did get a letter from the attornney general.They wanted advertising materials documents invoices customer names and so on they will get NOTHING!Right now I dont believe ther is a law in N.Y. for the person applying the film.If there was the kid who walks into pep boys, buys Illegal tint and does it in his driveway would be arrested.They can only ticket the driver.A friend of mine in the same area got busted by a sting and they did nothing more than warn him because there was nothing else they could do.The attorney general note is just another scare tactic, it is a very slippery slope.If we did 70% on all but the back we would be out of business in a week.But they cant just send this to some shops and not others,they would have to stop every tint shop in N.Y.which means stop the sale from the people who sell to us and pep boys (Which is opening up a can of worms)we either stand together or go down together we are just honest business people trying to make a living not dr*g dealers!!!

Archived