RESPONSIBILITY

Guest tint phantom

Guest obxtint

Does anyone here know of a list, by state, of the laws regarding installation of !llegal window film?

In N.C. every police vehicle I install film on, I ask the officer and I get a different response every time, Most of them don't even know the laws about what is and isn't legal. One cop even stated " as long as the vehicle has two side mirrors, you can put whatever you want"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint phantom
custom t, is right, got a ticket for too dark and a summons for installing it. :hmmm

Your telling me you got 2 tickets 1 for operating a motor vechile with a total vlt lower than state law allows and a ticket for Installing window film darker than state allows.

It just doesnt make sence how did the cop know you installed he didnt see you do it

In certain states the tinter can be held liable, I was told by a sherrif in FL, to be careful because they are going to start cracking down on the tinter as well as the motorist, haven't seen or heard of it yet. Like Custom said, to each his own, you have to weigh out the monetary loss to the morality of abiding by the law, I try to talk people out of doing anything !llegal, but I also have a family to feed, we've all heard the argument on waivers, but thats what I use. Yes its an admission of guilt, noone will argue that, but it also shows, that I as a tinter advised the motorist of the law. I have a family to feed, and bills to pay just like everyone else and the !llegal jobs help me with that. I'm sure everyone here would like to do only legal installs, hell its easier anyway, dont need a droplight, shrink, cut, clean, peel, and stick, but that doesnt make the tintworld go 'round... :hmmm

Ive been hearing BS like this since 1995 I still have yet to see a ticket, summons arrest or fine for installing film.

If you did get such a ticket could you post it? block out all private info of course but I would be interested in seeing what law was broken and the wording on the summons. what state.

summons.jpg

Guest mcpcola

wouldn't the waiver protect you if you state the legal limits for hwy use and that by signing this waiver the customer is stating that this vehicle is for show/offroad use only.

Guest Droid
Some of the original points lack merit. A stereo can be installed and used properly (within legal limits). A DVD player installed in front of the driver can be used responsibly (when the car is parked). A supercharger can be installed and used legally (driven on public highways, then fully used on the track).

I can't comment on the 4x4 lift, removing the cat, or NOS so these are perhaps good examples.

How can !llegal tint be used legally? Maybe if the windows were always down while driving? (CA is anything behind the driver and 70 net in front)

If it is not our responsibility to enforce the tint laws, do we have a responsibility for the well-being of others? For public safety?

Possibly in the same way as Dark visors on motorcycle helmets, in the UK it's !llegal to wear a dark/mirrored/iridium visor... however many wear them due to the impracticality of wearing sunglasses under your lid, on the same merit a visor can be popped up if you enter a dark tunnel or light levels drop, how safe is it to remove sunglasses in the same senario?? (BTW never been stopped for a Dark visor) Also is there a law under what light level drivers sunglasses must permit?? I don't think so, my driving sunglasses have 20% VLT so are these !llegal????

Guest user2422

I was pulled over and given a window tint ticket. The ticket stated I had "dark" window tint, but no %. I went to a window tinting company and they tested it to be 39% and came on the car factory.

35% is legal in my area.

I disputed the $135 ticket. I never received a response back, so 2 months later I contacted the courthouse and they said they mixed me up with someone else and they sent all of my court papers to someone in another state. I then received the court papers and went to court, where I was asked to plead guilty or not guilty and I pled not guilty and got another court date. The next court date, I was asked again, "Do you plead guilty or not guilty," again I said not guilty and got another court date. The 3rd time I went to court, the judge was on vacation and the clerk said to come back in 3 days when he is back.

I go back 3 days later when requested and I get arrested for not seeing the judge when he is on vacation? They arrested me in the courthouse for "Failure to appear" and brought me to the police station. They said my bond was $135. I had $140, but they would not give me change, would not accept the extra $5, and took my money, so I had to stay overnight and "no call no show" to my work, because I wasn't allowed to use the phone. A friend brought the change for a twenty and I was released with yet another court date.

I goto this court date for the 4th time and I am asked "Do you plead guilty or not guilty, I respond "We already did this a few times, when can my side of the story be heard?" and the judge responds, "Don't question me, here is your new court date." So, I'm in court for the 5th time, and this time the prosecutor and officer is there. I was thinking finally, a resolution, but no. The prosecutor spoke her side of the story and when I presented 4 sworn & notarized affidavits from the window tinting company, he refuses to accept the documents and tells me he will only accept verbal testimony.

The judge then says I have 30 days to get a window tint prescription, but the doctor has to testify verbally. I then said "My tint is not illegal" He responds that he "does not want to hear %&$# come out of my mouth" and assigns again another court date where I must have verbal testimony from a doctor or I have to pay $890 in fines. Is this legal? I'm so confused and this is my first ticket I have ever had.

Guest user2422

Missouri. I was just passing through when this all started. Don't come here or you'll leave on probation if you ever get to leave!

None of the lawyers will get involved, because the judge knows every lawyer I contact.

I thought I had a right to an attorney, but the officer didn't say any rights when he arrested me and when I asked the judge, he said I have no rights and asked me "if I want a jury for $530".

Archived