Can't seem to get it right

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
slip is the amount of baby shampoo or other "soap" in your mix of water. use 2-3 table spoons of baby shampoo, johnson and johnsons, to a quart of water. That should help.

If he does not know that there is NO FUGGIN WAY he has spent any time actually reading much on here. Sorry if I dont want to spoon feed you information, I dont have the time. Many folks come here to look for info to learn, some get it most dont. If you dont want to take a class or spend time reading on here then its all trial and error, mostly error...

Get a better attitude and perhaps folks will be more implied to help you.

Not to hash this back up since you already admitted being pissy....but.... You have no way of knowing exactly how much time I've spent on here, so do not presume to judge me by choosing one term that I asked a question about. I'm not asking to be spoon fed or trained. I asked specific questions after doing many hours working on this, even highlighted with pictures so you guys wouldn't have to guess what the heck I'm talking about. If you don't have the time, don't post, since you aren't willing to help it is wasting my time. Where did I say I don't want to take a class? I specifically said I can't, I do not have the time, there is a difference between unwilling and unable.

That being said, 1PEECBARETTA, thank you for your help. I appreciate you lending a hand to answer my questions. :trustme

The following is just a precautionary statement, not a personal attack, so please read with an open mind!!!

Don't get too pissy back at the guys here. They will try to help out as best they can, since words can't show exactly what they mean. It is understood that you are trying to learn, but, are you going into business with trying to learn this or just going to do your moms car and friends? If the latter is so, you are taking work from the professional tinter. Be careful how you treat the ones who are willing to help. Attacking back at someone who tried to help you, and admittedly was a bit pissy at the time of his post and appologized, is the wrong tactic.

That being said, invest the money into purchasing Flatrockstans DVD set which shows all of the tips and tricks you need to get started. You can ask all the questions you wish here, but the typed word will only help you so far. You definately need to SEE what they are telling you to learn. Another suggestion would be to get a job at a tine shop parttime to learn. However, if you are planning on striking out on your own, be carefull on this one, since you could create enemies should you have someone train you then leave with the skills you learned to become their competitor.

Good luck!!!

The following is just a precautionary statement, not a personal attack, so please read with an open mind!!!

Don't get too pissy back at the guys here. They will try to help out as best they can, since words can't show exactly what they mean. It is understood that you are trying to learn, but, are you going into business with trying to learn this or just going to do your moms car and friends? If the latter is so, you are taking work from the professional tinter. Be careful how you treat the ones who are willing to help. Attacking back at someone who tried to help you, and admittedly was a bit pissy at the time of his post and appologized, is the wrong tactic.

That being said, invest the money into purchasing Flatrockstans DVD set which shows all of the tips and tricks you need to get started. You can ask all the questions you wish here, but the typed word will only help you so far. You definately need to SEE what they are telling you to learn. Another suggestion would be to get a job at a tine shop parttime to learn. However, if you are planning on striking out on your own, be carefull on this one, since you could create enemies should you have someone train you then leave with the skills you learned to become their competitor.

Good luck!!!

I understand. I have a detailing business right now, and would like to expand it next year to include tinting. So until then it will be primarily for helping out friends and family. I've been detailing for years and am very good, so I want to make sure the tinting is very very good before I start to market it. I went off on him because there was no help there, only wasted time. But I'm done there, no hard feelings here.

I will look for those DVDs.

Yeah going into a shop to learn isn't going to happen. I'm friends with the only two "good" tinting shops in my area. In fact see one of the owners at the gym and we lift together sometimes. If someone was wanting to get into detailing, I wouldn't be too interested showing them all the tricks and tips so they could reduce my income when they leave.

Thats why tinting is so nice, high barrier to entry. Just about anyone can start detailing, yes a true pro can make a car shine like no other but most folks lookin for a detail dont even notice the attention to detail a pro puts into it.

Two good shops in your area? or crap shops? It took me about 2 years to get to the point where I could take any car and get a top notch install. I dont know the time frame you have planned for this but I would not expect to be kickin arse for at least a year and thats with constant practice and training. I'm sure you can get it, I'd suggest getting the cheapest tint you can get your hands on to practice with so you dont waste money on film thats just goinig to end up in the trash.

I nearly always yanked the tint after doing an install while learning, I didnt want my name attached to anything bad... even it if was just a friends car.

Does your liftin pal know your plans?

Thats why tinting is so nice, high barrier to entry. Just about anyone can start detailing, yes a true pro can make a car shine like no other but most folks lookin for a detail dont even notice the attention to detail a pro puts into it.

Two good shops in your area? or crap shops? It took me about 2 years to get to the point where I could take any car and get a top notch install. I dont know the time frame you have planned for this but I would not expect to be kickin arse for at least a year and thats with constant practice and training. I'm sure you can get it, I'd suggest getting the cheapest tint you can get your hands on to practice with so you dont waste money on film thats just goinig to end up in the trash.

I nearly always yanked the tint after doing an install while learning, I didnt want my name attached to anything bad... even it if was just a friends car.

Does your liftin pal know your plans?

Yeah, most of my clients though are high end, so I'm in a nice target market specifically looking for the pros and not the cheapies.

Yeah just two good ones. Had both my cars at both shops, very good quality. Probably springtime is when I'll start marketing it, IF I feel I have the quality down. As for that owner I lift with....no I haven't told him.

First I'd tell him, cause he is gonna find out and its better to hear from you. Second if you deal with high end cars I'd go take a class. 6 months aint long enough dude, you could potentially kill your customer base by performing subpar installs. If you have high end customers willing to pay $$ for tint work cough up the cash to train properly, it will pay for itself so quickly. Takes money to make money :lol6

What brand of film are you using (if you posted in your original post I didn't notice sorry) Also when you are first starting out in tinting use low heat you will screw up a lot less Trust me I just started tinting myself. And when an area seems to not be shrinking anymore go to a different finger or move it to a new spot. :lol6

Archived