$90,000

Guest mattgribble09

Guest FilmBlazer

I think wiseguy inc is implying that the hidden expenses you will incur are exactly that... Furthermore I think that he may be implying that it is best to know as much of this prior to opening your shop by learning it first hand. I.e. working closely with a business owner for a period of time in management. Granted this site is informative, but it is a tinting site, not a forum on how to start and operate a successful business. Take what you learn here about running a business here with a grain of salt, everyone runs their business differently, and many of them fail.

My recommendation is to keep it small and expand slowly. Its great to take $500,000 and open a franchise of some sort but what you are risking is much more than opening a franchise. I suggest that yeep your costs as low as possible and expand your business as your business demands it.... To an extent anyways, but allow for expansion if this is what you want.

Some questions to ask yourself.

Do you really need to computer cut your window tinting from the get go?

Do you really need four brands of film to offer your customers?

Do you really need a shop that big? Maybe more parking less shop space is all you need.

To answer your questions here are some expenses to consider that aren't on your list.

Telephone, heat, electric, internet, insurance, advertising.... Business setup and licensing. And the big one! TAXES, be ready to get owned by your government. Don't forget about your share of Social Security which will raise your income taxes by 7.6%. Overspending your first year alone can put you in trouble with your taxes.

Advice, hire an accountant and an attorney to help you through this process. You will learn more about running a business and tax laws/bookwork in your first year of business than you probably think. You will also spend about as much time learning it as you do installing signs and window film....

Good luck!

And..... Wait until next year if you have the opportunity :rollin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mattgribble09

Advice well taken FILMBLAZER, thats the kind of info I was looking for, yes I realize that this is not a business site, but I was really just looking for some help on what others have done, and not necessarily what I NEED to do, you said that you just work out of home still right???

I will say this much - you come across as someone who could make it work much much more then many new members to the site who post this type of thread.

So in that regard, I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

But at the same time, I agree with the others in that $90k is a big chunk of change to invest at the end of the season..... I'd be more inclined to wait until the end of the winter right before spring hits.

-R

Guest FilmBlazer

I sure do, with various marketing strategies that have worked quite well for me. Recall also that I am almost entirely flat glass which is by appointment and consultation. If you are targeting the auto market primarily and the flat glass market as a secondary then a retail location is recommended obviously. I will look forward to updates of your progress! :rollin

Guest mattgribble09

In a quick consideration of everyone's opinions and details, I have been thinking more of continuing what I am doing now, I have a one bay shop, right next to a main road, with a truck and auto accessories shop right next to me. The rent is only $300/month with no utilities, talked the owner out of that one, don't know how, but it is small. I will most likely find a larger shop (2-3 ) bay and start from there, I guess I didn't really state that I wanted to spend $90,000 but just wanted to see what others thought of how much capital and investment I would need initially.

In a quick consideration of everyone's opinions and details, I have been thinking more of continuing what I am doing now, I have a one bay shop, right next to a main road, with a truck and auto accessories shop right next to me. The rent is only $300/month with no utilities, talked the owner out of that one, don't know how, but it is small. I will most likely find a larger shop (2-3 ) bay and start from there, I guess I didn't really state that I wanted to spend $90,000 but just wanted to see what others thought of how much capital and investment I would need initially.

save your money :thumb

A rather timeley article was in the Mon Aug 26th Dallas Morning News Business Section.

The credit curnch is making it harder for small businesses to get loans.

No idea how to find it, but the dallasnews.com is the site, front page of the Business section Aug 26th.

Archived