VW bug rear window

flat rock stan

How do you guys heat form the VW bug rear window? I’m doing a demo with one next week at SEMA and the guy that has been doing it does it in 3 minutes. I have got it down but it takes me like 20 minutes. I even recorded the video on You Tube of him doing it. I think he told me he formed it wet. I’m getting ready to try it wet soooooo ……… film at 11!

Thanks, any suggestions will be tried in the name of speed!!

Stan

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do the lift and pull method. I have tried it wet and dry. No way in the world can I do one in 3 minutes. It takes me at least 15 minutes to heat form it. I would like to know the trick to doing one in 3 minutes :beer

I do the lift and pull method. I have tried it wet and dry. No way in the world can I do one in 3 minutes. It takes me at least 15 minutes to heat form it. I would like to know the trick to doing one in 3 minutes :beer

Funny YOU should answer!!!! I just used a heavy MDog soap method and the lift and pull and did it in about 15 min. Here is a clip I made last year with him in the back ground check it out

Guest thatsnappyguy

"JIM" doesnt use anything. he just lays the film on the glass with a horizontal anchor. and also he uses global qdp films which are very fast shrinking films, so if u dont have that, u not getting it in 3 mins. I can do it, I have done it, and I could do it all day. if u look closely, he used more of a "stretching" method than a lift and pull. also he uses a red millwalke heat gun which is the hottest gun I have ever used. keep the gun moving really close to the film, and pull harder.

Guest thatsnappyguy

jim dont work for global anymore last I heard, but while it lasted, I would have loved to have that job. being able to travel around and teach ppl what I know...that must be awsome.

jim dont work for global anymore last I heard, but while it lasted, I would have loved to have that job. being able to travel around and teach ppl what I know...that must be awsome.

Thanks for the tip on dry! I’m traveling lots in Europe training using the Global films. Lots of fun to meet so many great tinters and see their neck of the woods.

See ya in Vegas

Stan

Try it dry with 2 heatguns break window done into 4 sections,the 2 guns will heat a larger area at a time just keep the guns moving.If done right guarantee you will shrink it in just about the same time.I did one for Performance films a few years ago in Ohio.

Try it dry with 2 heatguns break window done into 4 sections,the 2 guns will heat a larger area at a time just keep the guns moving.If done right guarantee you will shrink it in just about the same time.I did one for Performance films a few years ago in Ohio.

WOW That's impressive to do that in 3 minutes! It takes me 10 or 15 minutes and I'm happy with that! Technique is everything and I would love to watch a tinter using Llumar do it that fast ! Seeing someone do it you can check there technique and then compare it with yours!

WOW That's impressive to do that in 3 minutes! It takes me 10 or 15 minutes and I'm happy with that! Technique is everything and I would love to watch a tinter using Llumar do it that fast ! Seeing someone do it you can check there technique and then compare it with yours!

I’m hoping to have it down like Jim (Atkins) in under 3 minutes when I get home from the show. I think he lives in Vegas and has a business there. Even still installs Global I think. Will find out if this is true tomorrow at the show. When I recorded the video I was running to shoot more that day and should have taken the time to watch him better. I’m about a 15 – 20 minute guy myself so we will see if a old dog can be taught new tricks! Seriously, I have did training seminars for over 1,200 tinters in Europe this summer and at ever seminar I learn something from the ones I’m teaching! When a person thinks they know it all they really don’t know squat! At the show I am going to be doing training on a easier window that more newbie’s can successfully learn to form. Then for all the more experienced tinters I’ve got some tricks and timesavers to share! Come by the booth if you’re going to Vegas and we can make TintDude pictures for photo chopping! I will have plenty of film on hand and a hot heat gun we can mess with the QDP so you can see what it will do.

Thanks for the advice guys

Stan

Archived