Illinois Tint Law

oldtinter

And instead of looking for the how all this will adversely effect your ability to make money, you should be damned happy there were a few people like me who basically secured your future in this business, unless of course there are more idiots that will blow the whole thing up. Damn ungrateful SOBs.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt if anyone is going to speak up on this, but a lot of us have babies to feed and bills to pay, so if some guy up the street takes food out of my mouth and money out of my pockets, I am going to have to make some hard decisions.

let me clue you in on a little secret.. I used to be self employed in Indiana. over there the shop could get slapped with a $10K fine for installing illegal film.

my livelihood was threatened by some hacks that didn't care. it only took ONE phone call to the State District Attornet in the area about each of the shops that were allegedly performing illegal work.

here's how it shook down....

shop 1) .. this fella was tinting in his parent's garage without a business license. needless to say, his parents were threatened w/ the $10k fine and other citations for allowing a business operation in their residential neighborhood. (I saw an increase in work after he was stopped)

shop 2).. (now THIS was funny) when one would call this shop they'd tell you on the phone "yeah, we'll do darker than 30% but it has to be cash only, no receipt, no warranty".. when I told the D.A. about this, they stopped in there in plainclothes w/ an unmarked car to get it tinted. they had an appt. showed up for it. had the car tinted, then it got funny.. the D.A. slapped them with the $10k fine and the other 'customer' was with the IRS and wanted to do an audit of the film they've been purchasing versus the film they've been allegedly selling etc.. needless to say, the Dad that used to own that shop now doesn't, however his kid does and they ONLY do legal installs..

and THIS is how you protect your ability to feed your kids (as I DO have kids to feed and bills to pay) and maintain the integrity of the industry for the long term. I'm normally not a snitch, but when it comes to taking food off the table it's cut throat if you're doing things illegally and cheating me out of my rightful share. :bingo

Ya, I cud see that. Snitching sucks, but I understand. But the story you are telling sounds like entrapment on the part of the IRS and the DA? Was the case thrown out of court or was that a scare tactic on the part of the DA? See I would be worried that the same phone call cud be made on me without proof, which basically means you are guilty till proven innocent. It wouldn't be bad if the officers could enforce it the new law on the streets with meters and such, but to fine a shop seems like you would really have to build a case based on witness accounts. Once again, I am not saying I will tint illegally, but I am definately going to be paying attention to this snitching and fining.

I always said that if IL had a legal tint then that is what I would offer....now we do.

Thanks again for the work you and all put in to this. I WISH it was anything rear and 35% front or 20% at least on the rear with 35% front, but I have done quite a few cars with my Global HP 40% on the whole car and it just RICH to say the least....

I have seen a new Impala that I did this way and it was very dark to see pass by....and other times looks very light....I LOVE IT!

hey ryker, how does that 40% meter out on a car??

Not sure man, I have not got a meter yet. Never needed one before.....

ryk, if you find a decent meter and a good price lemme know! I need to get one!

Hello, & thanks to all who made the new laws happen.

I bought a new car under cash for clunkers, & have been waiting for the new laws.

DSC00283.jpg

This is a 2009 Honda Fit with Llumar ATR High Performance charcoal color hybrid film (I.e. dyed metallic), 35% front and 15% back

If I used the 35% all around, is this legal?

35% all around except windshield is legal now

The bill to allow 50% film on the front doors, with 30% max film on the rear section, or a 38% film all around, or anything on the rear section and nothing on the fronts (all three options apply) has passed the house...Unanimously...vote was 117-0. :bingo Now it's on to the Senate.

you guys are loco...! :bingo

Make it so confusing..!!! :bingo

Just make it 35% all around like Hawaii.. then Done....

OT and Gus .. a fellow co-worker of mine would like to know who drew up the new tint law.. who allowed 50% w/ factory privacy but nothing w/ 20% ? (this question doesn't come from me, from a co-worker :lol2 )

I bought a new car under cash for clunkers, & have been waiting for the new laws.

original.jpg

This is a 2009 Honda Fit. NO factory tint anywhere.

Can I legally tint the small glass area ahead of the front passenger doors?

YES!! 5%....

original.jpg

This is a 2009 Honda Fit. NO factory tint anywhere.

Can I legally tint the small glass area ahead of the front passenger doors?

YES!! 5%....

I don't know.!!!! :lol2

My guess is that is where the 30% FILM came in. If the numbers come across straight then 30% film and 70% glass will be at 21% which would be the same as most "privacy" glass....

I guess I need to read the wording in the law then LOL... my coworker said that it's "stupid" to allow 50% on the fronts w/ factory darkened glass, but nothing w/ 20% film on the back .. (again, it's his comment not mine, I'm just trying to get an answer to his quesiton LOL)

thanks

mike

Archived