Illinois Tint Law

oldtinter

Has anybody heard of House Bill 4769 and Senate Bill 3024? It seems like it would reverse what was already done to get the new tint law. Here is what it reads:

Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Deletes a provision concerning side window tinting on multipurpose passenger vehicles and adds a provision providing that on vehicles where a nonreflective smoked or tinted glass that was originally installed by the manufacturer on the windows to the rear of the driver's seat, a nonreflective tint that allows at least 50% light transmittance may be used on the vehicle windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. Provides that the use of a nonreflective, smoked, or tinted glass or nonreflective film is not allowed on the window's to the rear of the driver if window treatment has been applied to the windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. Makes other technical changes. Effective immediately.

I had a guy I know bring me a car to do last night, I asked him if he wanted to do the legal amount all the way around? He told me that one of our local cops that he is friends with, just told him the day before that the Law has been re-done and it is now illegal to tint the front windows now. So I guess its back to no tint here in IL, I don't understand why it didn't last. What do we do with all the vehicles that have been done since late OCT of last year????

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shawn, If you didn't know already the "police" and others that SHOULD know the law are usually the last to know or care what the actual law is. I had a guy that told me that the city police in Fairfield told him that he could have 35% all around. He has an ex-cab truck with factory tinted rear.....so he would get the wonderful 50% MAX, but that is not what he said the police told him.....

Shawn, If you didn't know already the "police" and others that SHOULD know the law are usually the last to know or care what the actual law is. I had a guy that told me that the city police in Fairfield told him that he could have 35% all around. He has an ex-cab truck with factory tinted rear.....so he would get the wonderful 50% MAX, but that is not what he said the police told him.....

I understand that alot people hear say things and they tend to carry on what they hear from others, not actually knowing what the facts are. I just took it for granite that this guy was telling the truth, since he is friends with fello police officers and they should know the law more than anyone else. But I just didn't want to be doing installs and telling people that its legal when its not. I asked a state cop not to long ago, and he acted like he didn't know the whole write up with the new law. I just really want to make sure I'm doing the right thing

I am refusing to TELL people that this or that is what is legal. I am giving them a copy of the Vehicle Code to look at and judge themselves! I am not a lawyer nor do I want to be so I can not tell anyone the LAW just what I think it is.....

The saddest thing is that most of the law enforcement are just confused right now with the new law....

I have been told by many that they are telling the officers to just leave it alone until they get meters and have heard some say they are NOT going to get meters...

I am refusing to TELL people that this or that is what is legal. I am giving them a copy of the Vehicle Code to look at and judge themselves! I am not a lawyer nor do I want to be so I can not tell anyone the LAW just what I think it is.....

The saddest thing is that most of the law enforcement are just confused right now with the new law....

I have been told by many that they are telling the officers to just leave it alone until they get meters and have heard some say they are NOT going to get meters...

you are right on being confused, lol. I simply tell people, what is stated in this new law. For the past 2-3 months I have simply told people that I will only do 50 or 42% on the fronts only, nothing darker. I personally bought a TM100 meter and I have been using it on every car I do http://www.lasertintmeter.com/AllProducts.htm

I still get idiots asking to do 20 or even 5% on the fronts and I just tell them, you won't get it done here......

well, I have lost 13 jobs to a hack shop doing illegal tint this month....I called the local police, they don't care that the shop is doing illegal work. Called the state police, they don't care that the shop is doing illegal work. Called the DA for our county, he doesn't care that the shop is doing illegal tinting. I even had documentation on 3 of the jobs because the ppl came back to me to show me how great their 5% back half and 15% fronts looked... I also have personally metered several of the shops customers cars because they received tickets for the tint...I took pictures and made copies of the receipts...local enforcement doesn't care or doesn't want to deal with it...

Guest drivemusicnow

Old Tinter,

I'm in the chicagoland area and was hoping that you could let me know where your shop is. I always have people asking me for tint shop recommendations and I'd like to refer them to you. Thanks

Greg

Archived