Llumar question

This sounds good as a selling point against all other films ..can anyone clarify if this is not accurate? This is what a Llumar rep told me is a good selling point and want to confirm or find out otherwise it's accuracy :

Llumar is the only film that has UV inhibitors added to the advesive AS WELL as the polyester which is why it remains more colour stable longer than other brands on the market because they have it only in the adhesive.

Sorry..should have posted this in another area.

Vclimber is right, I woundt believe anything else they tell you, sure its great for your selling standpoint, but how many customers do you have that ask that specific question when they call you to get a price?? my company has used llumar in the past, and believe me, I've seen it fail just like 3m, purple, fade...you know. cant imagine how it acts in hotter states. so the mumbo jumbo works just like in any other industry.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive seen older lines of LLumar fail. The ATR has really held up well. I see alot of cars I did years and years ago and sometimes I can see a little color change but not much else. And it is slight, customers don't even notice it. This is in Florida too...

Guest tintmanlibby
Ive seen older lines of LLumar fail. The ATR has really held up well. I see alot of cars I did years and years ago and sometimes I can see a little color change but not much else. And it is slight, customers don't even notice it. This is in Florida too...

lulu has killed me in warr. work damn atr :twocents

Guest vclimber
FIRST... if they are calling the stuff "UV inhibitors" then I would seriously question the validity of everything else that come out of their mouth or keyboard. :twocents

They are called "UV Absorbers"... big difference from inhibitors.

Guest oasisglatint

lulu has killed me in warr. work damn atr :spit

How so? :twocents

I've been using it "only" for years and years! I've had no real trouble worth mentioning!?!?

It has been SOLID for me.

I've had a few inquire minds Pm me..more time efficient just to type this...Since there is nothing liable in this PM I got from a reliable source..I shall share but will respectfully keep it anonymous :

"Not true...

LLumar is not the only one... others use weatherable polyester in some of their films, a couple use it in all their films, LLumar uses it in every LLumar, Vista, Formulaone brand films they make. It is not used in Gila.

Weatherable poly is UV protected polyester... add it to the adhesives and you boost longevity of film performance.

UV is there to protect the polyester from degrading and it protects the adhesive. UV protection does very little for color stability.

LLumar does NOT sell any components used in their brand name products to any other company. Other companies furnish their own specifications for each component they buy."

To sum up..I just wanted to know if my original source was accurate before incorporating it into my sales spew to customers..as you can see..I won't be.

On a side note I just got another whack of cars dumped on me from the dealers today which puts me way over a 40 hr week for the next 2 weeks so I might not me on for sometime to comment much :twocents

to my knowledge llumar doesnt even make their polyester, nor does most companies.

but I think yes llumar is the only one with poly and adhesive uv inhibitors.

you are very correct they buy it from Dupont! the bigger name tham MMM...ha ha ha !!!

FIRST... if they are calling the stuff "UV inhibitors" then I would seriously question the validity of everything else that come out of their mouth or keyboard. :spit

They are called "UV Absorbers"... big difference from inhibitors.

is it even called a different name depending on if its in the glue or poly?

If a process is patented then ask for a patent # you will learn the truth after you read it. :twocents

great call "I agree to that!"

Archived