The tint guy gave me 20% and told me it was legal

Guest Erika

Guest Erika

I went to get my car tinted yesterday. The guy showed me a few cars that he had done work on and it looked really nice. I chose the level of the tint based on the other cars and how dark I wanted it. He told me that limo was !llegal which I already knew and didn't want anyway. He said the next level I could go would be 20% and that it was totally legal. I chose to do 20% all around. They were almost done with my car and another customer started talking to him about the tint laws and such and he said that he knew that the 20% was legal because a cop came in looking to get 20% as well and told him that it was legal so he assumed that since he heard it from a cop that it must be true. I know it's only !llegal by 5% but do you really think that I'll be messed with about it? I mean, I don't really want to be asking to be pulled over... ya know? Just in case it makes any difference, I live in Texas and I drive a light bluish colored 4 door honda civic.

Thanks,

Erika

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple things. I think I read that the Texas law is 25% on the sides? If so, what brand of film did they use? If they used Llumar ATR, there is a good chance that the 20% will actually comply with the law. It seems every time I measure an ATR 20 it reads about 23-25%. I don't know if they have a 3% variance in Texas like they do in Florida. So your tint guy might be right. I would take it back there first and get it measured. If he doesn't have a meter, call around to see if someone can measure it for you and go from there.

Guest Erika

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it. You know, I wish that I had found this site before I had my windows tinted. I guess you live and learn huh lol. Anyway, I didn't ask what kind of tint the guy was using, he just said that it was really good quality and that it wouldn't fade or turn purple and gave me a warranty for the life of the car. On the other hand the guy that actually did the tint (not the one that sold it to me) told me not to use my rear defrost too much or it could turn purple.

Yeah Texas law is that you can have any kind of tint on the rear window and back 2 doors. The front 2 doors must be 25% or higher. I will call the guy tomorrow and ask exactly what kind he used and ask him if he can measure it for me. If he can't do it then there are several shops around here so I'm sure that I'll find one that will be able to measure it.

I'll also call an inspection place and see if we have any give in the exact measure, like if it comes out as 23 or so, if they will pass it on inspection.

If it won't pass inspection, should I ask for the guy to replace those front side windows with something legal for free since he sold me !llegal tint? I mean I don't know if I would be right as a customer to request that it be done for free since I thought it was legal and it wasn't.

Thank you,

Erika

If it does measure !llegal then I think you are totally entitled to having the fronts removed and replaced with something legal for free. He stood there and told you the film he was putting on your car was legal and it isn't. What if you get a ticket. Would he pay for it? There's even worse scenarios you could get into with !llegal tint. So if that is the case, it is an easy fix and he should be willing to do it at no charge.

Guest Texstar
Yeah Texas law is that you can have any kind of tint on the rear window and back 2 doors.

I'll also call an inspection place and see if we have any give in the exact measure, like if it comes out as 23 or so, if they will pass it on inspection.

Thank you,

Erika

Erika,

:lol Texas law states that on the back 2 doors of a 4 door passenger vehicle they must also meter at or above 25% net. Trucks are different

23% or above will pass Texas inspection

Would you please tell us where this car was tinted and what town. If he knowingly sold you !llegal film then yes he should replace it for free :lol2

Guest Erika

The shop is in Houston, Texas... South side of Houston. I will post his name and exact location as soon as I get the receipt from the car. I didn't get a chance to get it measured today but I will post the results as soon as I do. If it comes out !llegal then I'm going to have him replace it. This is all so stupid... and could have been avoided had he not lied to me in the first place. I'll know better next time I get my windows tinted.

I actually have another car that needs tint if anyone here is in Houston, Texas let me know and I'll come see you to have it done right.

Thanks again,

Erika

Guest willie
The shop is in Houston, Texas... South side of Houston. I will post his name and exact location as soon as I get the receipt from the car. I didn't get a chance to get it measured today but I will post the results as soon as I do. If it comes out !llegal then I'm going to have him replace it. This is all so stupid... and could have been avoided had he not lied to me in the first place. I'll know better next time I get my windows tinted.

I actually have another car that needs tint if anyone here is in Houston, Texas let me know and I'll come see you to have it done right.

Thanks again,

Erika

Paladins are there or close. Mr P and texastintchick here on this board. :shoot2

Archived