Dust contamination near top edge

I razor clean near the top edge of the window, wiped the top many many times to get rid of the dirt (I even wiped repeatedly til there was no dirt shown on the cloth) , and squeegeed it but I always find little spec of dust contamination near the top edge. Its so annoying. Is there something im missing or not doing correctly? I even followed the article on reducing dust contamination on the website where they tell me to limit the water on the glass and not to spray the top edge but I still get the little spec of dust in it. Can anyone help?

I razor clean near the top edge of the window, wiped the top many many times to get rid of the dirt (I even wiped repeatedly til there was no dirt shown on the cloth) , and squeegeed it but I always find little spec of dust contamination near the top edge. Its so annoying. Is there something im missing or not doing correctly? I even followed the article on reducing dust contamination on the website where they tell me to limit the water on the glass and not to spray the top edge but I still get the little spec of dust in it. Can anyone help?

I tape the sides and top with masking tape if there is felt on the edgea. Mostly domestic

We do res and comm 95% of the time,I have found it way better to use the factory edge at the top and keep it down just a hair. If you do this and lock in the top edge first, the only contamination you need to be carefull of is in the top corners, Keep it somewhat dry and clean it well and this should help.

theres a few things it could be , it could be coming from you peeling the liner and placing the film it might be in the air and get caught on the film as you move it to the glass otherwise try not to lay the film at the top and drag it over the edge try to lay it just below the edge and move it up.

I do still sometimes get contamination mainly near top back corner but I avoided top edge contamination by doing what I described. thats what worked for me give it a shot.

I think you are being too hard on yourself if you are finding just "a little spec".

Guest mikebrooks
theres a few things it could be , it could be coming from you peeling the liner and placing the film it might be in the air and get caught on the film as you move it to the glass otherwise try not to lay the film at the top and drag it over the edge try to lay it just below the edge and move it up.

I do still sometimes get contamination mainly near top back corner but I avoided top edge contamination by doing what I described. thats what worked for me give it a shot.

the only way 2 do it. good post!!!

Yeah dude I agree with lildetails, its probably comming off your finger tips. You probably wet the backing sheet then flick or bite it to release it, then wet the film, touch the sides and install. Your picking up that 1 or 2 specs form the dust on the backing sheet, give it a good rinse before you peel it back then rinse your fingers... Sounds like you've just about got it perfect is thats your biggest worry. Let me know how you get on... Peace, Breezy.

Guest JBsTintshop

My personal experience with dust/dirt specs at the top, is from fingertips when grabbing the film

I keep a bucket of clean water on both sides of my shop right next to each peel glass. I get the release liner started spray film down, reach down, dunk my hands in the bucket, straight up to grab the film and lay on the window, that way absolutely no dust or dirt can remain on the fingertips before grabbing the film. I learned that bucket trick from a seasoned vet a few years ago, I probably never would have thought of it. Works well for me.

Archived