Texas New Tint Law

Felixbiel

LEGISLATIVE ALERT

TEXAS

To:  Texas Manufacturers, Distributors, and Installers

Date:  December 11, 2009

Subject:  Senate Bill 589 (House Bill 4523)

Previous Alerts have advised members of the advancement of Senate Bill 589 and House Bill 4523 through the legislative and implementation processes.  The legislation became effective on September 1, 2009, and essentially established labeling and penalty provisions.  

It is important to note that industry efforts relative to the visible light transmittance (vlt) standards provided the opportunity to work closely with the legislative leadership and the Department of Public Safety (DPS) in retaining the same standards which had worked well in the past but required enhanced penalty and labeling provisions.  This being accomplished, it is our belief that the intent of the legislature was not to modify in any manner the 25 percent vlt regulation.  At some point during the last days of the 2009 Legislature, language was added that seems to indicate that the windows behind the driver are exempt from the statutory limits and that any film would be allowed.  The Legislative Consultant and members of the industry who worked closely with the patrons of the legislation and DPS are confident it was not the intent of the Legislature to allow darker film on the rear windows than that which was allowed prior to adoption of Senate Bill 589.  

It is very possible that the current language that allows for this exemption will be amended during the 2010 legislative session to clarify the statutory language and retain the 25 percent vlt standard that was in place prior to September 1, 2009.  It is strongly suggested that members continue to install film in accordance with the 25 percent limits to avoid installing products that may be illegal in the near future.

The labeling provisions also are being modified in a manner that is more effective for our members and the enforcement community.  In the Legislative Alert dated August 28, 2009, information was provided that the label “should be located on the driver’s side window in the lower rearward corner”.  We are confident that the new regulations in Chapter 21 of the Texas transportation Code will require labels on every window to which a sun-screening device is applied.

It is also important to note that DPS has not finalized the standard for required information on the label, but it is recommended that the industry migrate to preparing labels that have the business name and, as previously required, a statement that indicates the film complies with TTC 547.613 (b). The label would be placed on each window on which film is applied and have the following information:

Joe’s Tint Shop

Complies with TTC 547.613 (b)

The Department of Public Safety has partnered with industry and has been exceptionally helpful in working through this process to ensure the benefits and requirements of the new law are effective for the law enforcement community and industry.  

Future Alerts will provide updates on the rear window standards as we more clearly define legislative intent for the vlt standard.

I would love for everything to be cleared up. If the rear doors are exempt, then it needs to be put in stone. I have continued to do 25%VLT on the rear doors of passenger cars just in case, even though many are doing the opposite. Im ready to stop wondering!!!!

I think a legal sticker on both front rollups (one on the driver like we already do and one on the passenger front) should suffice. So the cops or whoever can see them easily.

I can tell you one thing. Illegal window tint is running rampant here in Wichita Falls. We are NOT part of the problem though. We do everything to a T as per the law. Nobody in town but us uses a legal sticker with a shop name on it. Most shops dont bother with legal stickers period.

I am not sure about tejas... but in Ga when we had a sticker law

the tint distributors that sold film into Ga were required to provide the stickers... if I'm not mistaken

Archived