Help with my mk2

Guest mj10

Ok - you will never do that back window as long as you have a hole in your ass!

that is one of the hardest rear window ever - it is the holy grail for a lot of european tinters - they think they have made it when they can do that back window.

I have done about 15 before and it took me 2 attempts last week to do one.

take it to a proper tinter who has done these before in one piece.

:dunno:beer

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL :lol So what's so hard about them? Shrinking I guess!! Just looking at a few other cars rear windows, alot seem less curvey and only curved In one direction where as the mk2 Is curved a hell of alot more In both directions!

As I say I've shrank to the basic shape but can't seem to get the wrinkles out now. I've got the film here, It's part done so may aswell try and use It and If that fails I'll be off to a pro to sort me out. On the basic instructions the film came with It said don't worry about the wrinkles as you can get them out after but It doesn't go into detail on how to do this :)

As It looks so far... I'll strap In :dunno

23012010043Large.jpg

LOL :lol So what's so hard about them? Shrinking I guess!! Just looking at a few other cars rear windows, alot seem less curvey and only curved In one direction where as the mk2 Is curved a hell of alot more In both directions!

As I say I've shrank to the basic shape but can't seem to get the wrinkles out now. I've got the film here, It's part done so may aswell try and use It and If that fails I'll be off to a pro to sort me out. On the basic instructions the film came with It said don't worry about the wrinkles as you can get them out after but It doesn't go into detail on how to do this blink.png

As It looks so far... I'll strap In :dunno

23012010043Large.jpg

honestly mate you will never do it and if you do you will have spent more money on film than you would just getting the rear done, if you are wanting to learn tinting properly id start on and easier car like a punto or something and move up to a harder one once youve mastered that.

Roger that ADH. This Is my second and last attempt at heat shrinking this window. By no means am I expecting It to come out flawless for my first rear window install, especially since It's on the dreaded mk2. Hell, My other side windows are far from perfect but I've learnt from the mistakes. As you can see by the pic I've got It too the basic shape but how do I go about removing the crinkles now? I can get one bit flat then as I move out to flatten another bit the area I've just flattened starts to crinkle again :lol

looking good mate, I would just peel and fit inside. look proper gangsta :lol

No: seriously like already said they test us seasoned pro`s unless we do them regular, you will never nail that I can tell you that just looking at the photo,

Find a local installer & save yourself some grief,

Thanks VIP. Yes only vertically, correct? Frome what I've found on here the mk2 galss Is one of the trickyer ones to do a good job on. I've looked on here for tips etc aswell as watching a few vids on youtube of tinters shrinking a mk2 rear screen. I had fingers running vertically as well as horizontally first but I manipulated the film so they were just running vertically before I started shrinking. But now It all just looks crinkled.

If you are learning...This is not one to learn.....If you also are using quality tint products.. it still may take you a while.. for the money you would spend and time take that part to some one who has done them... Time cost fifty dollars Times ??? per hour...?? is it worth it to do one job... may not be...

This is someone with 1.5+ yrs experience....

As I say I've shrank to the basic shape but can't seem to get the wrinkles out now. I've got the film here, It's part done so may aswell try and use It and If that fails I'll be off to a pro to sort me out. On the basic instructions the film came with It said don't worry about the wrinkles as you can get them out after but It doesn't go into detail on how to do this :tw

As It looks so far... I'll strap In :tw

23012010043Large.jpg

honestly mate you will never do it and if you do you will have spent more money on film than you would just getting the rear done, if you are wanting to learn tinting properly id start on and easier car like a punto or something and move up to a harder one once youve mastered that.

:lol

Guest scottydosnntkno

since you have the basic shape down now from wet shrinking it appears? now try the soap method to finish it with the same piece of film. You're already about half shrunk or so, so you should be able to finish it up with the soap method. Just use a medium heat and take it real slow, and work on little sections, like a credit card size at a time. Shrink, hard card, shrink, hard card. Work your way from the middle out, in rows, until you get to the edge of the window

Tintin' Winders aint as easy as it seams :lol

Archived