Do I have to buy Global from .....

:lol2

now was that so hard TTS?

you are the college kid... you tell me about 'floorplans' ..... while you are busy with that I will have a conversation with a new car dealer about their 'inventory flooring program' :tantrum

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottydosnntkno

well from the sound of it, you already know what your talking about, but I guess I can still say it for everyone else, not going to hurt anything.

"floorplanning" is basically like using what you have to get collateral against something you want. I.e car dealers- use the cars they own outright, as collateral against new cars, while paying interest on their "loans". In a big dealer, they can easily spend tens of thousands of dollars a month just on their floorplan alone. Ever wonder why you get such a good deal on that new truck thats been sitting on the lot for 7 months? The dealer wants it gone, and wants it gone NOW. He's been paying incrementally increasing interest payments on his floorplan against it, which is costing him several hundred dollars a month, eating into his profits, and holdback on the vehicle. This is one of the reason these days dealers hold a lower level of inventory, because they don't have the sales and service to support a large floor plan anymore, let alone the volume of new car sales it takes to maintain a full inventory. Its easier to trader/order from the lot cars and have them shipped in a couple at a time, and not have cars sitting noone wants.

how does this apply to the tint industry you might ask? well, on to my question. Is your tint inventory for global floorplanned? Simple enough question.

What it boils down to is whether, as a distributor, howard or anyone else for that matter actually owns all the film their sitting on, or if its "floorplanned" in a sense. As howard has said before, for EWF MOQ is 50k squares. So say going rate is X for a square(think about this in dollar amounts), then lets say his cost is (X/2). so that means he has 25000"X's" invested in inventory, for just one shade, of one film. As we have all seen from his website, he has tons of lines and shades, so thats quite a bit of film.

So, say a opening global order is what, $400k in material?(just guessing here) I wouldn't think right away he would have that kind of cash to front. Do YOU have that much money to go write a check for tomorrow? What about 1/10th of that amount?

I was basically just trying to see if he could floorplan his global distributorship against his EWF and concord companies.

Guest scottydosnntkno
you need to go back to school and draft up a couple floor plans jr.

:twocents

I've had enough revit/cad work for one day. Taking a break until after work tomorrow. Since most people wouldn't find a working set of revit files exciting, heres a quick 3d model of one of my current projects.

Two story, commercial mixed use office building, load bearing masonry exterior, and will be LEED Gold certified when done(leed is a crock of shiat, but thats a story for another time)

FirstRendering.jpg

last semesters project was pretty cool. A new masterplan for a redevelopment center in detroit, centrally located between lafayette park(mies van der roes largest development) and elmwood park, two of detroits oldest, most populated communities.

consists of mixed use commercial/residential, and high rise residential, incorporating a large, outdoor pavilion area

vignette.jpg

a rendering of what the pavilion would look like in the morning

Scotts2.jpg

Guest Got_Tint85
or is it "floorplanned" like a car dealer does?

:bingo you must be drinking... :lol

Its possible :lol I'm not a distributor so I don't know how it works, hence why I specifically asked a question?

well from the sound of it, you already know what your talking about, but I guess I can still say it for everyone else, not going to hurt anything.

"floorplanning" is basically like using what you have to get collateral against something you want. I.e car dealers- use the cars they own outright, as collateral against new cars, while paying interest on their "loans". In a big dealer, they can easily spend tens of thousands of dollars a month just on their floorplan alone. Ever wonder why you get such a good deal on that new truck thats been sitting on the lot for 7 months? The dealer wants it gone, and wants it gone NOW. He's been paying incrementally increasing interest payments on his floorplan against it, which is costing him several hundred dollars a month, eating into his profits, and holdback on the vehicle. This is one of the reason these days dealers hold a lower level of inventory, because they don't have the sales and service to support a large floor plan anymore, let alone the volume of new car sales it takes to maintain a full inventory. Its easier to trader/order from the lot cars and have them shipped in a couple at a time, and not have cars sitting noone wants.

how does this apply to the tint industry you might ask? well, on to my question. Is your tint inventory for global floorplanned? Simple enough question.

What it boils down to is whether, as a distributor, howard or anyone else for that matter actually owns all the film their sitting on, or if its "floorplanned" in a sense. As howard has said before, for EWF MOQ is 50k squares. So say going rate is X for a square(think about this in dollar amounts), then lets say his cost is (X/2). so that means he has 25000"X's" invested in inventory, for just one shade, of one film. As we have all seen from his website, he has tons of lines and shades, so thats quite a bit of film.

So, say a opening global order is what, $400k in material?(just guessing here) I wouldn't think right away he would have that kind of cash to front. Do YOU have that much money to go write a check for tomorrow? What about 1/10th of that amount?

I was basically just trying to see if he could floorplan his global distributorship against his EWF and concord companies.

:lol6

:lol owned by Scotty :bingo

:lol

I've had enough revit/cad work for one day. Taking a break until after work tomorrow. Since most people wouldn't find a working set of revit files exciting, heres a quick 3d model of one of my current projects.

Two story, commercial mixed use office building, load bearing masonry exterior, and will be LEED Gold certified when done(leed is a crock of shiat, but thats a story for another time)

FirstRendering.jpg

last semesters project was pretty cool. A new masterplan for a redevelopment center in detroit, centrally located between lafayette park(mies van der roes largest development) and elmwood park, two of detroits oldest, most populated communities.

consists of mixed use commercial/residential, and high rise residential, incorporating a large, outdoor pavilion area

vignette.jpg

a rendering of what the pavilion would look like in the morning

Scotts2.jpg

:shiz

We own all the inventory in our warehouses as well as all the film "in the pipeline" which has been prepaid but not received as yet.

We also use "forecasting equations" to look ahead and prevent us from running out. We get monthly shipments, but forecast out 75 days in advance. If we ever run out of anything, it meant that an unusually large order hit our system.

[X/365]*75

X=Sold Units Last 365 days

We also keep backup "Cardinal Sizes" 60" & 72" so that we can cut down rolls as needed whenever factory cut stock runs out. Our order fill rate is 99%+.

-Howard

Guest scottydosnntkno
:evileye owned by scotty! So what software you using Scotty? You use a ATI video card GLI? Or a fox?

its a mix of a few. autocad for the floorplans and Sketchup for modeling(what the images are from). draw it up in autocad, import it into sketchup then model it and add materials. I use a couple rendering programs depending on whether its interior/exterior renderings. Both are sketchup plugins, VRay and Irender. For more advanced BIM modeling I use AutoCAD Revit, the premier BIM software in the industry. I HATE that program with a passion, and do everything I can to avoid using it at all costs.

As for graphics, I use our school laptops we're given. Preloaded with all the software and stuff we need. However, they have integrated graphics, so its pretty shiatty, and slow as hell. Only 4 gigs of ram and a 200gig harddrive, with a dual core processor, but not a very fast one. For free, its not too bad, but its just such a pain sometimes. Have to work within the limits of the hardware and software

Archived