small sub enclosure?

it doesnt matter how long the wave is, its how your ear interprets it. 20hz sounds like 20hz no matter what speaker it comes from

OMFG! Absolutely incorrect....again.... what Your saying is a 20Hz note from a tweeter will sound the same as a 20Hz note from a 15 inch woofer ? :D

well 20hz refers to the wavelength of the sound wave, so if its the same wavelength shouldn't it sound the same? I'm no physics guru, but thats the gist of what I remember?

lol...do you even hear 20hz that low of a note you only feel it "you may barely hear it"

Not likely that "music" plays anything that low.. even :spit !

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
use a kicker cvt and I'm sure you could make the box even smaller with a 8 inch sub...or try a free air speaker

did you seriously say "free air"?? Would you care to define what a free air speaker is for me if you think one would work??

use a kicker cvt and I'm sure you could make the box even smaller with a 8 inch sub...or try a free air speaker

did you seriously say "free air"?? Would you care to define what a free air speaker is for me if you think one would work??

most your flat subs have what is called a dual spider...I know I might have the word wrong but it like a cush of air in between the cone and magnet...you can research the pioneer flat sub...ive installed several cvt's in ford f250 where there is no air space what so ever..kicker even gives you a plate so that you can cut the back of the box out and mount this plate on the rear of the box. this way you gain 3/4's from the missing wood. two cvt tens sound like 2-12inch woofers...they make the cvt in as small as a 8" woofer and they are not as power hungry as others...GO KICKER these are like miny me's of the solar barrak

I just asked because what is called a "free air" sub is still designed to have a baffle of some sort and the normal is a rear deck or behind a rear seat. They are subs that will do in a very large enclosure and will use the trunk of a car for their enclosure...but still have to have the front and rear waves separated or you will have phase cancellation.....

I have had 2 very nice sounding "free air" set ups...

Guest scottydosnntkno
it doesnt matter how long the wave is, its how your ear interprets it. 20hz sounds like 20hz no matter what speaker it comes from

OMFG! Absolutely incorrect....again.... what Your saying is a 20Hz note from a tweeter will sound the same as a 20Hz note from a 15 inch woofer ? :spit

well 20hz refers to the wavelength of the sound wave, so if its the same wavelength shouldn't it sound the same? I'm no physics guru, but thats the gist of what I remember?

lol...do you even hear 20hz that low of a note you only feel it "you may barely hear it"

20hz or 20khz, it was just relating to my statement. That I thought a sound wave is the same wavelength, no matter how big of a speaker it comes from, because it order to hear "20hz" you have to have a 20hz length soundwave entering your ear, otherwise it would sound like 25hz, or whatever hz that a different wavelength refers too

I just asked because what is called a "free air" sub is still designed to have a baffle of some sort and the normal is a rear deck or behind a rear seat. They are subs that will do in a very large enclosure and will use the trunk of a car for their enclosure...but still have to have the front and rear waves separated or you will have phase cancellation.....

I have had 2 very nice sounding "free air" set ups...

You're exactly right. I don't know what he thought he meant, unless he knew "free air" woofage has a tight suspension and can do well in a small box.

And the plate that jeff spoke of is intended to allow for magnet clearance in shallow boxes like behind a truck seat.

Oh just build the dam thing and tell us how good it sounds! :gasp Post pics tomorrow!

I am still contemplating what to do. Have been listening to some hip-hop style and it just is so lame without some sort of boom....and the factory speakers on this old vehicle don't do it...

Archived