VA state tint LAW

KonSiva

HB 1728 Vehicle window tinting films; not to be applied to certain windows reducing light to less than 35%.

02/17/11 Senate: Passed by indefinitely in Transportation with letter (15-Y 0-N)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAS--Miller, Y.B., Houck, Marsh, Newman, Watkins, Puckett, Wagner, Blevins, Deeds, McDougle, Ticer, Smith, Miller, J.C., Marsden, McWaters--15.

NAYS--0.

This is the latest off the Va legislature site. I hope it's not too late.

Darrell Smith with the IWFA was saying they anticipated this , and it is part of the process. Dont quote him as saying it , this is merely what my sales rep said. I think if it is a honest discussion, with all BS left out, this is a fair law for everyone. Guess we will have to wait see.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vingert88
HB 1728 Vehicle window tinting films; not to be applied to certain windows reducing light to less than 35%.

02/17/11 Senate: Passed by indefinitely in Transportation with letter (15-Y 0-N)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAS--Miller, Y.B., Houck, Marsh, Newman, Watkins, Puckett, Wagner, Blevins, Deeds, McDougle, Ticer, Smith, Miller, J.C., Marsden, McWaters--15.

NAYS--0.

So does this mean that they voted against 35%???

NAYS--0.

So does this mean that they voted against 35%???

I called a friend with VDOT that is part of the legislative process and he said that "passed by indefinitely" means put on a shelf.

Guest coredneck

Real shame that the Senate Transportation Committee blew it off. I went to the legislative web site and it showed, "Pass by Indefinitely with Letter". I wonder what kind of letter and what was in it. Contrary what some media site mentioned, the VA Tint law DOES APPLY to out of state vehicles and is even mentioned on the VA State Police web site.

Concerning Virginia, I have to say that Virginia has some of the most harshest anti-motorists laws like no radar detectors, reckless driving tickets for offenses when committed in other states are considered minor traffic infractions. Add in the inspection, city/county stickers you have to pay for. Lastly for college students, if you are from out of state, you still have to pay property tax on your out of state tagged vehicle. Add insult to injury, if you work at the school like work study or in the local town, you are required to switch your driver license and car tags to Virginia !

A few years ago, my company ordered me to move to Virginia for a job and I told them no way I would live there. Besides the cost of living, their anti-car laws was a big reason for taking the door versus relocation !

Real shame that the Senate Transportation Committee blew it off. I went to the legislative web site and it showed, "Pass by Indefinitely with Letter". I wonder what kind of letter and what was in it. Contrary what some media site mentioned, the VA Tint law DOES APPLY to out of state vehicles and is even mentioned on the VA State Police web site.

Concerning Virginia, I have to say that Virginia has some of the most harshest anti-motorists laws like no radar detectors, reckless driving tickets for offenses when committed in other states are considered minor traffic infractions. Add in the inspection, city/county stickers you have to pay for. Lastly for college students, if you are from out of state, you still have to pay property tax on your out of state tagged vehicle. Add insult to injury, if you work at the school like work study or in the local town, you are required to switch your driver license and car tags to Virginia !

A few years ago, my company ordered me to move to Virginia for a job and I told them no way I would live there. Besides the cost of living, their anti-car laws was a big reason for taking the door versus relocation !

Welcome to the commonwealth coredneck. The part that pisses me off is the police going up in arms over 35% VLT, when the 3 other states bordering us all have the same law. Do the 3 other states not have law enforcement ? And out of all the things you mentioned, Virginia has some of the slackest gun control laws. If you read the legislation, there is a bill that was passed to prevent NY feds from doing undercover sting operations in Virginia . Keep in mind New York sued VA and NC over gun control a few years ago . Go figure . Good news is this idea got out there, and picked up steam, and while we think it is over, there is still argument going on over whether or not we will get a 35% VLT. Hopefully even more people will get behind this .

Virginia is trying to pass a law that would make it a reckless driving offense if you turn right on red without coming to a full stop . And I was reading that one traffic light where they have a camera made something like $500,000 in 6 months for tickets from people running the light. They tell us this is for our safety, that its not about money. I seem to think otherwise. :thumb

Guest abc40kids

Md. and N.C. are both 35% but there is no allowance for whats already in the glass so no 35% in those 2 states if you have to go thru inspection because it's not gonna meter 35.

Guest H3LlIoN

so if this is "part of the process," can someone with some actual knowledge on state legislative process comment on when to reasonably expect an update one way or the other?

Comments like "it's VA, it'll never happen," or "when hell freezes over" need not apply.

Archived