Newbie Showing Some Of My Work

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

Guys Guys Guys... Calm down! I'm well aware of what I'm doing is "against the law". But tinting window's also has its benefit's. Illegal or not. If all tint shop's here in PA went by the law it would cut profit's down a good 80%. Basically no tint on the windows of a car is legal in PA, yet I'm not the only guy in the state tinting lol. I'm not asking for anyone's condolence either. Let's get away from the state I live in and back to a good clean job on some sexy ass cars!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude i live in a crappy state for tint laws to 70% i always try to sell the lightest tint as possible to my custy to avoid hassle with the law they sign a waiver that they was presented the lighter film and decline and they know they are breaking the law if the car is not used as show or off road use and used on public streets and they assume liability ... but try to push lighter film same benefits i do lots of 70 and 50 % ask howard when you speak to him next

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr
dude i live in a crappy state for tint laws to 70% i always try to sell the lightest tint as possible to my custy to avoid hassle with the law they sign a waiver that they was presented the lighter film and decline and they know they are breaking the law if the car is not used as show or off road use and used on public streets and they assume liability ... but try to push lighter film same benefits i do lots of 70 and 50 % ask howard when you speak to him next

Yup, NY and PA I believe are about the same. I know it's 70% light transmitting through the glass. But it also depends a lot on the cop pulling you over in my area. Some will say if they can shine their light through the glass and see to the floor than it's ok. Some won't care. And other's think they make the law and you have to remove every piece of tint...

Had a cop pull me over a few years back. I was in my 94 s10 blazer, 4 door. Cop said my windows were illegally tinted... I looked at him and said "Um, it's factory tint. I have no tint on the rear windows". I then willingly admitted to having tinted the front glass myself. But his reply to the factory tint was "Did you purchase the vehicle from the factory", my reply was "No", he then said "Then how can you tell me it has factory tint on it"... Like seriously dude.

I asked him before he left if he wrote out the ticket and wanted me to "remove" the rear window tint, how was I to go about it because I knew it was in the glass. And it was that stupid bronze tint that GM had back in the early 90's. He couldn't really give me an answer to my question either. He was just having a bad day I believe and thought he knew a thing or two about the tint law... I shot him down and it pissed him off.

Oh I know... I'm well aware of what the tint law is here in PA. But if we abide by the law, then there wouldn't be as much money to be made.

I find this statement to be kind of asinine. Just like any other industry on this earth. If you choose to abide by tax, unemployment, insurance or any other regulations there won't be as much money to be made, but that is called running a LEGIT business. Do you really want to "make that money" at the expense of your customers or off of "illegal" practices. And no it is illegal, no matter if you get caught or not. I used to say that kind of crap when I was 15.

When I started my shop I too thought, "well if I don't do dark tint there is really no reason to even open the doors." But I made the decision with my partner that we will ONLY do legal installs, dark installs on medical exemptions only. Sure I lose a couple snot nosed teenagers every now an again to the shop down the street that just stocks 5% but to tell you the truth I didn't want those customers anyway. Misinformed people come in all the time asking for dark installs but I plainly tell them that I want EVERY car that comes out of my shop to pass all inspections/roadside stops and I want every car to have a valid warranty. I am proud to say that I have stayed busy doing business within the laws of my state, whether I agree with said laws or not.

If your state laws impede your ability to make money then you may want to think about a career change. Staying within the boundaries of the law eliminates any risk to you or your customers.

With all that said, it looks like you do good, clean work. Good luck and be careful how you market yourself. Work like that is fine when you are working out of the trunk of your car but its hard to build a notable establishment when you are sidestepping the law. Just my :lol

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr
Oh I know... I'm well aware of what the tint law is here in PA. But if we abide by the law, then there wouldn't be as much money to be made.

I find this statement to be kind of asinine. Just like any other industry on this earth. If you choose to abide by tax, unemployment, insurance or any other regulations there won't be as much money to be made, but that is called running a LEGIT business. Do you really want to "make that money" at the expense of your customers or off of "illegal" practices. And no it is illegal, no matter if you get caught or not. I used to say that kind of crap when I was 15.

When I started my shop I too thought, "well if I don't do dark tint there is really no reason to even open the doors." But I made the decision with my partner that we will ONLY do legal installs, dark installs on medical exemptions only. Sure I lose a couple snot nosed teenagers every now an again to the shop down the street that just stocks 5% but to tell you the truth I didn't want those customers anyway. Misinformed people come in all the time asking for dark installs but I plainly tell them that I want EVERY car that comes out of my shop to pass all inspections/roadside stops and I want every car to have a valid warranty. I am proud to say that I have stayed busy doing business within the laws of my state, whether I agree with said laws or not.

If your state laws impede your ability to make money then you may want to think about a career change. Staying within the boundaries of the law eliminates any risk to you or your customers.

With all that said, it looks like you do good, clean work. Good luck and be careful how you market yourself. Work like that is fine when you are working out of the trunk of your car but its hard to build a notable establishment when you are sidestepping the law. Just my :thumb

That's just the thing. This isn't my full time job. Though I would love it to be, seeing as how I hate my day time job and it pay's like poop. I'm just a guy that does "favor's" for people buy offering a good clean tint job at a reasonable price. I'm not a professional and I don't advertise. My customers are all word of mouth. I don't want to come on this forum and offend people who listen to their state law's. I totally agree with you on the fact that if I were to own my own shop, I too would want it to be a legit, legal business.

With all that said, it looks like you do good, clean work. Good luck and be careful how you market yourself. Work like that is fine when you are working out of the trunk of your car but its hard to build a notable establishment when you are sidestepping the law. Just my :waving

That's just the thing. This isn't my full time job. Though I would love it to be, seeing as how I hate my day time job and it pay's like poop. I'm just a guy that does "favor's" for people buy offering a good clean tint job at a reasonable price. I'm not a professional and I don't advertise. My customers are all word of mouth. I don't want to come on this forum and offend people who listen to their state law's. I totally agree with you on the fact that if I were to own my own shop, I too would want it to be a legit, legal business.

Apparently, you will learn...the hard way! :nono

I am probably nuts for jumping in here on the Legal Only tint issue, but after almost 30 years in this game I would like to weigh in here and offer an opinion. I know I am going to get a lot of heat over this one, so I will take care in explaining my position.

There are many on these boards who are strongly opposed to any installations that do not comply with applicable state laws. I happen to agree with them 86% of the time. Where did I come up with this percentage and what about the other 14%?

Let me explain:

Roughly speaking, 43 of 50 (86%) of states have laws will allow at least some level of film. The other 7 states have laws that are either so draconian, or so poorly written (or both) that no film at all is legal, not even 70%.

It goes without saying that those who support legal only installations live or work in states where some level of tinting is permissible. In those cases, I agree. Following the law makes sense.

Some have opined (above) that if you live or work in a state that does not allow tinting, you should find another career or move. I strongly disagree with that and will explain the reason why:

The State of New York (by way of example) does not allow tinting on any vehicle except for the rear windshield. No exemptions are granted for livery vehicles, stretched limousines, SUVs, etc. There are probably hundreds of thousands of livery cars, stretch limos and brand new SUVs on dealer lots which are equipped in direct violation of the law. A squad of police officers could descend upon one of these mega new-car malls and spend weeks writing legitimate tickets for new SUVs. Another squad could be deployed to the theater district to ticket all the stretched limos carrying people out for a night on Broadway.

If it were true that the law were being evenly enforced, I would agree with the "legal only crowd". But if every car company from GM to Toyota is circumventing the law, why should the small number of people working in our industry be held to a different standard? If the wealthy limousine/livery crowd can ride around without a care in the world over a tint ticket, why should installers be held to a different standard? It's not fair. We don't have one set of laws for GM, Toyota, the Limousine Crowd and another for our industry. According to my wife (an attorney since 1983), this is a clear violation of the equal protection clauses in Federal Law. She is always surprised that nobody has picked up on this yet.

Now, if the police were ticketing brand new SUVs and limos and liveries and school busses, etc, I would agree. But they do not. So if you live and work in NY and you have tint on your car, you are not doing anything that GM and Toyota are not doing every single day.

Make sense?

-Howard

Spelling

Archived