I'm curious...

Suppliers, Film brands, and market saturation  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice, which would you prefer?

• Minimal relationships with some sort of exclusitivity or commitment on the part of a supplier to minimize dealers
    • I want access to anything I can get my hands on with no commitment and I will accept the fact that my competitiors will be able to do the same thing

i like the buy in stuff when it comes to films, and i like the tiers also. it keeps the weak shops away from my brands. but that hasnt helped in the past year or two.

what i would like is for the manu's to make it plain and simple for the customer to see what they are getting on theri websites

i sell llullu and i wish it was easier for the customer to see which film is good and which film is just plain standard. that way i can refer to their website when talking to customers.

there is a lot of llullu dealers around now and the customers just say "they use the same film". we try to educate the customer, however if what i was saying was easily backed up by the manu's website it would make it 10x easier

im sure every manu would benefit from it

Throw a rock in Murrieta and you'll hit a lulu dealer

I would say only make it difficult for those who are not invested in their business ie. someone with an OLFA and a credit card buying a half a roll of film and doing $79.00 cars is not as invested as say maybe a guy that is will to buy some inventory and maintain growth margin for his or her business.

Just some thoughts...

In reality to weed out the above mentioned tinter probably all it would take is proof of a business license and maybe a required first purchase minimum of probably no more than $200 and all subsequent purchases require to order full rolls. This alone would probably rule out about 95% of the trunk monkey hack crackheads.

DB have you inquired with your current supplier if they require this?

I don't know who you buy from but I am curious.

Only supplier that I have ever talked to that required a minimum first purhcase was Huper. I think my supplier does require you buy full rolls on auto at least.

DB, I was asking if they required business credentials such as a business license etc.

I doubt it but I wish they did. I have been using the same supplier for over 16 years and for a year or two I used them when I was working for someone else so I don't remember what the requirements were but like I said I doubt they do.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only supplier that I have ever talked to that required a minimum first purhcase was Huper. I think my supplier does require you buy full rolls on auto at least.

DB, I was asking if they required business credentials such as a business license etc.

We require all necessary business licensing as required by law. For instance, in CA I will not set up a flat glass dealer that does not have a CA contractor's license. While we can't be everything to everyone, that is our pledge to the industry to help. :beer

We require all necessary business licensing as required by law. For instance, in CA I will not set up a flat glass dealer that does not have a CA contractor's license. While we can't be everything to everyone, that is our pledge to the industry to help. :lol

By doing so you have eliminated the trunk monkey from buying your film and insuring the end user/consumer never associates your name with hack work. Well done IMO.

Guest Infiniteoptiks StL
We sell solar film on our reputation. Not a brand. How can anyone expect loyalty when distributors sell directly to anyone with a credit card? Several have installation crews of their own. They justify this by saying dealers don't go after the big jobs so they will. I've been in this game 30 years ( had 16 installers in the late 1990's) and can't believe the way distributors operate. I was the exculsive Huper dealer in town for 10 years and had to cut them loose for haze issues and it's also reported by fellow dealers. I waited 2 years for answers.The sad fact is you can market with exclusivity but when you cut cost like every manny does due to market conditions you risk quality. The early Huper still looks good. Sad to say goodbye.

My edge is we print decorative film and sell it nationwide for higher profit and no glass warranty BS to deal with. Say "HI" to Gary.

:lol Will do Robert!

Distributors definitely have their challenges. I guess you have to choose your path. We chose not to compete with our customers, no installation crews here and we have never sold a job direct in the history of our company. Sorry to here about your experience, making film is not as easy as it sounds we try to do the best we can to control what is in our control but name a supplier with a perfect record. I can't.

I'll add this and that's all I have to say on this topic. Communicating with dealers ASAP when defective film issues surface can save a hell of a lot of relationships. It's called "customer service" and thats what we all do if we plan to stay in business. Huper did a bad job of it just like CP films. It's their problem now. My duty is to provide the best possible product to my clients. Poor choices can haunt any manufacturer or distributor and I take no pleasure in the short comings of others. By the way Stan I'm in St. Louis www.infiniteoptiksstl.com

We sell solar film on our reputation. Not a brand. How can anyone expect loyalty when distributors sell directly to anyone with a credit card? Several have installation crews of their own. They justify this by saying dealers don't go after the big jobs so they will. I've been in this game 30 years ( had 16 installers in the late 1990's) and can't believe the way distributors operate. I was the exculsive Huper dealer in town for 10 years and had to cut them loose for haze issues and it's also reported by fellow dealers. I waited 2 years for answers.The sad fact is you can market with exclusivity but when you cut cost like every manny does due to market conditions you risk quality. The early Huper still looks good. Sad to say goodbye.

My edge is we print decorative film and sell it nationwide for higher profit and no glass warranty BS to deal with. Say "HI" to Gary.

:lol Will do Robert!

Distributors definitely have their challenges. I guess you have to choose your path. We chose not to compete with our customers, no installation crews here and we have never sold a job direct in the history of our company. Sorry to here about your experience, making film is not as easy as it sounds we try to do the best we can to control what is in our control but name a supplier with a perfect record. I can't.

I'll add this and that's all I have to say on this topic. Communicating with dealers ASAP when defective film issues surface can save a hell of a lot of relationships. It's called "customer service" and thats what we all do if we plan to stay in business. Huper did a bad job of it just like CP films. It's their problem now. My duty is to provide the best possible product to my clients. Poor choices can haunt any manufacturer or distributor and I take no pleasure in the short comings of others. By the way Stan I'm in St. Louis www.infiniteoptiksstl.com

Sorry Stan, Robert K must go by a different name on this board...

You guys are outside our territory. If you were our customer we would go to bat for you, we have a very good reputation for supporting our customers... it is our duty. Just ask some of the West Coast Dealers. :beer

We have two quality threads going on right now with some really great items being discussed. This is why I value this forum and appreciate how every person has been professional and respectful of each others opinions. I really hope to see more in depth discussions on the window film industry as a whole and how we can grow it for the benefit of all. I know for me personally I have to be very careful on here, but I see the importance of participating and helping give others a perspective from the other side of the business. Its great to have guys like Rob (Huper Optik), Pat (3M), Tim and Dennis (HanitaTek) on here too and I think that a lot of credit should be given to anyone from the mfg side who is willing to be visibly active on here and engage dealers.

:waving

Tim, I have been out most of the afternoon and night on a install,but while there I was actually thinking the exact same thing, it is nice that people like you,Howard,and the others you mention have the stones to step up here. Most tinters ( myself included) do not have a vast knowledge of the front office.

Guest spfwindowtinting

It depends on the state of your business. If you are a smaller company just starting you want the exclusivity. You want a direct relationship with the film company for any and all support you can get. For example job referrals, marketing material, advertisement compensation. As your company grows, as mine has, that becomes less of a value. Now I have worked for several years to be able to order and sale any of the film companies products. This takes a lot of work and time. Even as I may push one film company, I have branded my self not the film.

Archived