Thermal Shock Failure -Who Wants To Discuss It?

Rob, unfortunately too many people are bringing it down to the 1990 prices. Too many do not understand the true cost of owning and maintaining a business.

When I had my film installation company, my breakage percentage was well below 1%. And the ceramic line was the top three films I installed.

In '06 I saw a HUGE jump in claims. It was almost 5% and it did not matter which film I installed. After a little investigating I found that almost every one of them were in homes less than a year old with General Aluminum windows. And this was the first time I EVER had to file a seal failure warranty claim. At that time General Aluminum was the predominate brand in the new homes being built in my area. They are no longer the window brand you see in new homes. With that in mind, that huge jump in percentage was not due to to film being installed. The jump was due to poor manufacturing on the window unit, but window film got the blame.

There are so many contributing factors on why the glass is breaking. About 98% of the time you can determine why the glass breaks. Just beacuse the manufacturer labels a product as thermo safe, that does not mean it can be aplied anywhere.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the risk differnce between a 45% absorption rate, and a 54% absorption rate, linear, logarythmic, or exponential in increased risk for each % point?

Oh well, for what it is worth Vclimber accepted the risk of HO films.

Tint man, why did you get out of the installation end of the business

Well there were many reasons. My knees were feeling the stress of squatting and ladders for 25 years of doing this. Let alone my fingers feeling the effect of being in cold water all day. I was getting frustrated with the direction the industry was heading at the dealer level. My wife and I bought our property, designed our dream home. I was supervising the construction of our new home and building the property for the horses. My son quaduated from college and wanted to take over the company.Passing 50. It was time for a change.

Still in the industry, hoping to make a difference

I try to stay way away from these discussions....

A properly educated dealer is the critical piece of the puzzle. Although these topics do educate they seem to always turn into a p1ss1ng match which is a shame but probably unavoidable in some sense. Currently I do not think any manufacturer or supplier has committed the time and energy needed to achieve this although I would love to see it and would be THRILLED if it were possible through the IWFA so that all in this industry could benefit from it. It's a pipe dream with some flaws but that is the bottleneck to true growth in the window film industry as a whole.

Archived