got me a beetle today!

gospeed3go

Guest crossy67

Thanks to all the tips here I did my 1st one today.

Took about 6 attempts but the end result was really impressive, well it had more rashes than a bacon factory but what do you expect when done on a windy day outside my house on the street but the shrinking was great. It was a freebie in return for having a friends car to practice on for a day. I'm still trying to sort my unit.

I tried Llumar ATR, Global QDP and HP but ended up getting it nailed on the second attempt with Johnsons. Okay, 6 goes at a hotline might not be great but considering they are all new films to me, a totally new technique and a heat gun that's either like the sun or cold didn't help.

All in all, a really useful day spent tinkering :rock

Thanks to all the tips here I did my 1st one today.

Took about 6 attempts but the end result was really impressive, well it had more rashes than a bacon factory but what do you expect when done on a windy day outside my house on the street but the shrinking was great. It was a freebie in return for having a friends car to practice on for a day. I'm still trying to sort my unit.

I tried Llumar ATR, Global QDP and HP but ended up getting it nailed on the second attempt with Johnsons. Okay, 6 goes at a hotline might not be great but considering they are all new films to me, a totally new technique and a heat gun that's either like the sun or cold didn't help.

All in all, a really useful day spent tinkering :rock

great job :beer

Guest crossy67

Thanks Stan :thumb .

The quality was okay but not what I'd usually go for, it was the technique I wanted to get right, dirt I can deal with.

I've done a total of 4 now of this generation. First one I tried Llulu ATC and it just wouldn't shrink enough. Switched to Johnson's Ray Guard (before Renegade came out) and it laid down no prob. The 2nd and 3rd one were with Renegade-laid down way past the matrix with no prob-dry shrink only took 11 minutes, wet check was about another 30 to get it perfect and ready for install. That's a long time compared to most windows but any time you are doing a Beetle in one piece including the matrix, you are a happy tinter. Today I used Suntek Carbon 25 since I was at someone else's shop- ill say that the Renegade def lays down quicker. I did the brand new body style last week with Suntek and it was a little easier, still challenging but no real problem. Now Easier than a Golf/GTI lol. I didn't measure the two windows for comparison, but it seems like the new window stops where the old matrix used to begin-in other words its a little shorter.

Archived