Was Thinking

So I get like 10-15 calls a week asking if we do auto tinting. Even though my Flatglass business is doing very well, I am considering opening up an auto tint shop in a prime location by next spring. I have a nephew who helps with the FG business and is really wanting to learn auto tinting. There is a local tint school affiliated with a LLumar dealer and was considering setting him up to go. I know expanding my business to serve cars is a gamble especially since I will not be tinting any cars. Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be appreciated.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. If it came to having to tint cars to make ends meet....

Doesn't sound like he is trying to make ends meet, just add on to an already successful venture. :dunno I'd say give it a shot but put it on a short leash. Try mobile, though it's tough, or cheap work space. The key, I think is low overhead and not chasing volume but the quality aspect. Getting the most out of each situation, if you are making pennies on the dollar in the end then it's time to cut it loose. Just don't back yourself in a corner where you are trying to have it make ends meet. :twocents

Operating costs are higher for auto tinting; you wouldn't want to end up busier but making the same profits.

It is easier for auto tintshop to venture into flat glass than vice versa, just thread the water carefully. Nevertheless, you should still give it a try long ago.

. If it came to having to tint cars to make ends meet....

Doesn't sound like he is trying to make ends meet, just add on to an already successful venture. :dunno I'd say give it a shot but put it on a short leash. Try mobile, though it's tough, or cheap work space. The key, I think is low overhead and not chasing volume but the quality aspect. Getting the most out of each situation, if you are making pennies on the dollar in the end then it's time to cut it loose. Just don't back yourself in a corner where you are trying to have it make ends meet. :twocents

Tint cars for.$275-$400 and that's good money for 1-2 hours of work ;)

I was going to ask that.....what is the going price for auto in your area? As long as it is in a respectable range, I don't see why you wouldn't branch out into auto. But I definitely wouldn't touch it if you have to compete with $99 shops. :nope

Archived